It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Science is NOT compliance.

ELEX is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.
A vast post-apocalyptic RPG, crafted by the creators of Gothic. In a unique world where science clashes with fantasy, control of a mysterious resource, which grants people special powers, is being contested between warring factions. Pick a side and move around the open world with your handy jetpack, fighting terrible creatures and witnessing the land change based on your decisions.

Grab the Digital Extras and delve deeper into this intriguing universe.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited October 17, 2017 by maladr0Id
CharlesGrey: Of course, I think at this price point for a digital game release the extra stuff should already be included. *shrug*
ciemnogrodzianin: It's something new that the first release does not contain all the available goodies for the full price... :|
Your point being? I know that this is certainly not the first time we are being charged extra for additional digital content. It's not like that makes it any more acceptable, to any self-respecting customer. At a price point of roughly 60 dollars ( in my price zone ), for a purely digital release, I think it's fair to expect more than the absolute bare-bones version of the game.

CD Project Red has been a major AAA studio for many years now, that stands eye to eye with the big players of the industry, and yet they released tons(!) of extra content at the same price point. Piranha Bytes and Nordic are seemingly always painted as the "good guys", so why should we hold them to lower standards?
_ChaosFox_: Question - I didn't get around to playing my copy last night but I'm curious about the language side of it. Was the game developed in English or German? Traditionally PB games have been developed with German as the "original language" and translated (sometimes rather poorly and stodgily) into English. If that's the case here, I'll need to set my PS4 to German...
Silly question, of course you should play PB games in German. It's the only way. :P

( Unless someone doesn't understand the language... But then it might still prove entertaining. )
Post edited October 18, 2017 by CharlesGrey
ThomNG: Enjoy!

Your Piranha Bytes & THQ Nordic Team
Thank you:).
Have a soft spot for Piranha Bytes and hope the game does amazingly well.
Post edited October 18, 2017 by Moonbeam
ciemnogrodzianin: It's something new that the first release does not contain all the available goodies for the full price... :|
CharlesGrey: Your point being? I know that this is certainly not the first time we are being charged extra for additional digital content.
Misunderstanding. I totally agree with you.

I never buy at Day One (that price is close to my gaming budget for this year;), but I was sure that people who decide to buy for a crazy price of first release (without reviews it's almost like pre-order) should definitely get all the bonuses available at Day One.

I was aware that devs and publishers used to prepare more content after initial release and they are charging players for that. But charging for goodies like that - really, this is something new for me.

How come the physical version of the game requires Steam by the way? It seems weird to punish people like that (and since it's a full-priced game (was interested in the collector's edition actually), I only buy physical but this just makes me abstain from buying/playing the game).
So what about day one patch? Is it live for GOG version of Elex?
DanielD: So what about day one patch? Is it live for GOG version of Elex?
My question too.
high rated
ciemnogrodzianin: Misunderstanding. I totally agree with you.

I never buy at Day One (that price is close to my gaming budget for this year;), but I was sure that people who decide to buy for a crazy price of first release (without reviews it's almost like pre-order) should definitely get all the bonuses available at Day One.

I was aware that devs and publishers used to prepare more content after initial release and they are charging players for that. But charging for goodies like that - really, this is something new for me.
Yeah, I'm not saying the game isn't worth the asking price -- I'm sure it's a fun experience, with the typical unique PB style -- but if they want to charge a premium price for it, they should deliver a premium experience, and that includes some extra goodies. I could understand if the standard physical edition doesn't include ( physical ) extras, due to production costs, but those don't apply to digital extra content.

When I bought Witcher 3, not only did it come with all the digital goodies, it also had several physical extras ( retail version ), so it had a much higher production and distribution cost, yet still sold at the same ~60 dollar price. Likewise, when I bought Dark Souls 3 last year, it came with a nice metal case for the game. And my copies of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 for PS3 both came with a full soundtrack disc and a small art booklet, -- again, same price point. ( And that was on console, where games typically cost more than on PC. )

To be fair, PB/Nordic are selling the PC retail version of Elex at a lower price than most new AAA games. Strangely the price seems to be slightly higher here, and the retail version has its own problems, due to being tied to Steam. Also, apparently there's some issue with the discs -- only about 7GB are installed from disc, and then the rest has to be downloaded from Steam, so it's kinda pointless to buy the retail version, instead of going for pure digital distribution. :/
DanielD: So what about day one patch? Is it live for GOG version of Elex?
The bluetexts are still in <silent mode>, in the release thread of their heavily featured game of today... Come on guys, it's already afternoon in Poland. Any info on the patch situation?

(I'm smelling a "Sorry, day one patch will be up tomorrow. And not compatible with the old saves. Sorry if you have to start all over again" :-P)
CharlesGrey: Why? Isn't it easier to only offer two products? The game, and the extras. Otherwise we'd get the game, the "deluxe" version, and the upgrade containing only the extras, for owners of the basic version. That's what they're doing for many other games, and it just clutters up the store with different versions and upgrades.

Of course, I think at this price point for a digital game release the extra stuff should already be included. *shrug*
because of this new practice, i have stuff littering my wishlist that should only take up one entry, not two or three, just one. it feels kind of janky and odd [and if i ever go and buy those things, it's several extra clicks just to get them into my basket to buy. that's not at all user friendly.]

sure, this'd clutter up the store. and yes, that creates a bunch of confusion [cf: some of the games here that have tons of weird editions.] but if we could settle on a naming convention for these, then it'd be much easier to find the 'complete edition" in the end.

also:

i COMPLETELY wish we hadn't gone this route and had stuck to "one game with all the things in it." this is something i miss from oldgog. but eh. publishers have discovered that they can get some extra blood out of the stone this way, i guess. it's just frustrating. i'd much rather buy one thing, have all the items and move on.

i'm not "fussed about the price" - for what this is [a grand, big rpg], i feel like at launch, $60 is a fair amount to be asking for it - assuming it lives up to the pb name, but just this weird split of content makes actually buying in, if you want everything, more of a chore than it should be.
In the selection of language is missing Spanish, you have to modify the xml file to be able to play it in Spanish, since it does not appear in the language selection.
The story and setting of ELEX are certainly intriguing, but I watched a few early gameplay videos and wasn't too impressed. Dialogue and voice-acting are poor, and the gameplay looks rather dull (though I do like that even low-level enemies aren't a pushover). Judging by the reviews, people seem to be enjoying it anyway, so more power to them.
tankedjordi: In the selection of language is missing Spanish, you have to modify the xml file to be able to play it in Spanish, since it does not appear in the language selection.
How do you mean that? Is it a XML file in the game directory? Are the installation files multilanguage although they are named individually according to the language you choose on the download page (standalone installers)?
It looks like an interesting game and certainly the whole Science Fantasy thing sounds good to me, but what interests me more is how good it is gameplay-wise. The game's description promises a lot of good things but i'd trust a good honest review more; that said, judging by the list of minimum requirements, I guess i'll have plenty of time to read the reviews until i decide to upgrade my system (hint: it will take a while!).

Lucumo: How come the physical version of the game requires Steam by the way? It seems weird to punish people like that (and since it's a full-priced game (was interested in the collector's edition actually), I only buy physical but this just makes me abstain from buying/playing the game).
"Punish" isn't the word i'd use but i understand your confusion; I used to buy physical versions too (a box with disc(s) and a printed manual can't be beaten by any digital version -- not a fan of overpriced deluxe physical versions though) but the fact that nearly every modern game i've been interested to in the last decade came with a Steam account requirement (not to mention the absence of any printed manuals) eventually made me quit caring about modern gaming. Nowadays, all my PC games shopping is done exclusively through GOG, with the occasional second-hand find on eBay being an exception.
Post edited October 18, 2017 by Vythonaut
Zoidberg: Mmh, being asked 7,60€ more than others for the same 50€ game is... not nice...
CharlesGrey: Yeah, what's up with the price point? The local retail version is actually cheaper. And another ~10 bucks for some digital extras? Hum. :/

Too bad that the retail version is, as usual, tied to Steam. Why won't publishers let us choose between GOG or Steam ( or whatever else ).

And what's with the disk space requirement? It says around 26GB download size, but only 20GB required disk space... ?

Also, friendly word of advice for those interested in the game: Ignore the early reviews, good or bad, until people had some more time to dig into the game. Early reviews based on first impressions and hype always tend to be the same useless mixture of "It's the best thing ever!!1" and "It's complete trash and I want my money back!!1".
It seems to be true for this game... sometimes what you see in the early hours IS what you get.

Hey Thom, people claiming GOG version is outdated compared to the Steam Version. Can you please comment on that?

https://www.gog.com/forum/elex/version_10_day_1_patch/post7