It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Everyone, including myself, seem to forget The Thing (1982). I love that movie! <3
ariaspi: Everyone, including myself, seem to forget The Thing (1982). I love that movie! <3
I was going to mention it to you, but I wasn't sure if that was really you.

Is there anyone here not aware of Carpenter's comments about the ambiguous ending and why audience reactions puzzled him?
Post edited October 12, 2017 by tinyE
ariaspi: Everyone, including myself, seem to forget The Thing (1982). I love that movie! <3
I figured that was covered under Breja's first post where he mentioned he liked most of Carpenter's movies. But yeah, this is one of my favorite horror flicks and probably my favorite movie remake.
andysheets1975: I haven't had much time for watching horror movies so far this season. Usually I try to focus on a certain theme - last year I watched all of the 1930s Universal films - and I was thinking maybe I'd do Hammer this year, or Italian horror, but we'll see. My wife wanted to watch Friday the 13th 1 and 2, so we watched those, although I fell asleep in the middle of the first one. I've seen them many times even though they're not very good (well, part 6 is pretty good).
I highly recommend trying out Friday the 13th part 6 in black and white, the opening reminded me of a 1960's Eurohorror, and the sequences in the police station had a great 1950's feel to them. It's not all perfect, that paintball scene doesn't work for instance, but I thought it was a fun experiment. 7 works too, but I didn't think quite as well, I didn't get any sense of homage like I did with 6, and the first doesn't work at all, days are too bright and a lot of the later part is too dark.

I just finished watching the Phantasm series, I'd previously only seen 1 and 2. I liked them quite a bit. I'm also going through the Saw movies, I've so far rewatched all the ones I'd previously seen, 1-4. I still stand by 2 being great. 1 and 3 are ok, but not great and 4 seems like it's trying too hard to redo the great twist of 2. I've heard 5 is really bad, but 6 is actually really good, so I'm looking forward to that.
I have the 1st 8 Friday the 13th movies on DVD. Anyone up for an all nighter? :P
Post edited October 12, 2017 by tinyE
doccarnby: I just finished watching the Phantasm series, I'd previously only seen 1 and 2. I liked them quite a bit. I'm also going through the Saw movies, I've so far rewatched all the ones I'd previously seen, 1-4. I still stand by 2 being great. 1 and 3 are ok, but not great and 4 seems like it's trying too hard to redo the great twist of 2. I've heard 5 is really bad, but 6 is actually really good, so I'm looking forward to that.
Oh, this reminds me that my wife is amped to see the new Saw movie and she's going to want to watch the whole series to get refreshed on its various twists. Don't get me wrong - I love that I'm married to someone who'd rather watch a bloody horror flick than a weepy romance or musical, but I'm just not crazy about the Saw franchise :)
In the spirit of this thread I've decided today is Silent Hill day. :D

I'm listening to the music score all day. Silent Hill 2 - Promise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_PXTGdlGw&amp;list=PL3701130022801F23&amp;index=6

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And for anyone who wants to push freaky-deeky to the limit;

Manhunt intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKyUnwU8Aho
Post edited October 12, 2017 by bad_fur_day1
Watched Caltiki, a fun Blob-alike. It's on Amazon Prime if you've got it. One of Mario Bava's earlier movies, though he stepped in fairly late and apparently mostly did effects shots and stuff and was uncredited for his directing.
Great thread, love it, although it's still very uncommon inmy coutry, and recently time has been to little to fully enjoy it.

As for games, I vehemently recommend playing Scratches, although unfortunately if you don't already own it digitally you only have the option to buy any physical version you can find or resort to illegal downloads. I really hope this gets sorted out in the future, because it's a damn shame not being able to buy it.

It's not your typical jump scare fest, it grows on you. A lot! It was one of the few games which made me constantly want to play it, and I could hardly put it away, I was compelled to keep playing it. My favourite part, which I still remember vividly, is how they achieved a scene which is extremely scary (or at least it can make you really uneasy) without any visible/real reason for you to be scared (the first time you go down that damn basement!).

Besides the games already mentioned, if you are into adventure games, Jack the Ripper and Post Mortem are two games which, although not scary per se, have a great mood, specially because of the game ambient and music used.

Last Halloween I started playing the Alone in the Dark games, intending on binging the original trilogy and New Nightmare, well, how did that turned out, you ask? Let's say I hope to finally finish Alone in the Dark 3 this fall! The first game, although with it's share of old age related problems, it's still engrossing and it can still be a bit chilling. The other 2, well, not so much...

As for movies, I'm trying to remember which was the last Horror movie I've seen, and I'm guessing it would be Horns although the horror is somewhat "light". I enjoyed the movie, although I ended up falling asleep during a damn long commercial break... It happens when you resort to watching movies only played on open TV networks.

Regarding movies, maybe there's some GOGer who can help me track down an old sci-fi horror movie. I watched it sometime during the 90s, so I'm guessing it was made in the 80s, or early 90s. It wasn't a big budget movie. It was about a scientist guy who invents some kind of machine who brings an extra-dimensional small creature of sorts to our dimension and he eventually gets bitten by it and starts turning into a monster. Ring any bells to anyone? This is basically all I remember of it (and I hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me).
WireHead: Regarding movies, maybe there's some GOGer who can help me track down an old sci-fi horror movie. I watched it sometime during the 90s, so I'm guessing it was made in the 80s, or early 90s. It wasn't a big budget movie. It was about a scientist guy who invents some kind of machine who brings an extra-dimensional small creature of sorts to our dimension and he eventually gets bitten by it and starts turning into a monster. Ring any bells to anyone? This is basically all I remember of it (and I hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me).
From Beyond perhaps?

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Beyond_(film)]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Beyond_(film)[/url]

Edit: Apparently, the forum software just won't accept that url no matter how I try to format it.
Post edited October 12, 2017 by jkiiskinen
Watched Dawn of the Mummy. It tries, poorly, to ape Fulci, and you get hints of him in the last... 15 minutes, but it's really difficult to get to that bit. Slow, ponderous, it's probably best avoided.
WireHead: Regarding movies, maybe there's some GOGer who can help me track down an old sci-fi horror movie. I watched it sometime during the 90s, so I'm guessing it was made in the 80s, or early 90s. It wasn't a big budget movie. It was about a scientist guy who invents some kind of machine who brings an extra-dimensional small creature of sorts to our dimension and he eventually gets bitten by it and starts turning into a monster. Ring any bells to anyone? This is basically all I remember of it (and I hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me).
jkiiskinen: From Beyond perhaps?

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Beyond_(film)]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Beyond_(film)[/url]

Edit: Apparently, the forum software just won't accept that url no matter how I try to format it.
Well, I watched the trailer and it doesn't ring any bells, sadly. I remember the movie was weird but this one seems a bit too much weird for me to have forgotten about it. I'll add the movie to the To watch movie pile, though. Anyone else got other sugestions?
Guess what I watched on this night of a Friday 13th... ?

-- Friday 13th Part 2 -- ( 1981 )

This was actually the first Friday 13th film I've seen, not counting some Freddy vs. Jason crossover. I guess I never cared much for the sub-genre of Slasher films. Seems to me like it's always the same formula -- a bunch of teenagers decide to throw a party in some isolated place, involving lots of drugs, sex and Rock'n'Roll; before long a serial killer shows up and kills them, one or two at a time, in a variety of more or less creative ways -- if you've seen a few of these, you've seen 'em all. Just replace the location and the murderer's weapon and you've got yourself an all "new" Slasher.

This film is no different -- although to be fair, Friday 13th is probably one of the series which originally established this genre. I did enjoy the music/sound design, setting and overall atmosphere, and the way the film slowly and gradually builds up suspense. I think the biggest problem is that Jason isn't a very well developed character in this early installment of the series. There are only a handful of memorable scenes, but for the most he seems rather generic and mundane. The kill scenes are fairly short and uninspired, and the "victims" as well, tend to be rather flat characters, and don't put up much of a fight, only serving as cannon fodder throughout most of the film's duration.

In the end I still enjoyed it quite a bit, mostly due to a certain 80s charm, so I'd rate it at about a 7/10, and I'll consider picking up another Friday 13th sequel or two, to see how they develop Jason as a character.

Was the modern 2007(?) Friday 13th film any good?
CharlesGrey: Well, it's no Evil Dead, but it had its moments. Campbell's performance in Evil Dead, and especially in Evil Dead 2, is borderline insane. Half of the time I was wondering if he's actually crazy, or just a brilliant actor. Then again, they say there's a fine line between genius and madman.
Breja: Campbell is great in everything. Evil Dead, Brisco County Jr, Jack of All Trades, He even turned in a legit great dramatic/comedic performace in Bubba Ho-Tep, a movie that had no right to be nearly as good as it is. I've got a mile-long list of roles I wish he played (some still viable, some he's now to old for).

CharlesGrey: By the way, you're a fan of Twin Peaks, right? Have you played Deadly Premonition?
Breja: I'd love to. I can't get it to run :P
Brisco County Jr -- now that's a blast from the past. Almost completely forgot about that series... Maybe I should get it on DVD some time. I think he was in Xena too, wasn't he?

And right, I think you mentioned that before, about Deadly Premonition. Is it your hardware, or some problem with the game or what? I wonder if it would be worth it to ( temporarily ) acquire a Playstation 3 to play the game on ( and perhaps some good PS3 exclusives while you're at it ). A second-hand PS3 would probably not be expensive at this point. Frankly, Deadly Premonition has dated graphics and mediocre gameplay mechanics, but if you stick with it, it turns out to be one of the most unique and singular gaming experiences around. Plus, it's packed with Twin Peaks references. Really, there's so much of it, it feels more like a Japanese video game interpretation of Twin Peaks.
andysheets1975: ... and I'm working on Eternal Darkness
Good choice! Playing through it for the first time?
doccarnby: I just finished watching the Phantasm series, I'd previously only seen 1 and 2.
They're among my favorites. If you have the Anchor Bay version DVDs, make sure you watch the audio commentary version some time. I dare say it's impossible not to fall in love with the series and the people behind it, after watching those.
bad_fur_day1: In the spirit of this thread I've decided today is Silent Hill day. :D

I'm listening to the music score all day.
Not a bad choice -- the series had some great soundtrack music. ( Even if some of it is on the weird side of things! )
Post edited October 14, 2017 by CharlesGrey
WireHead: Great thread, love it, although it's still very uncommon inmy coutry, and recently time has been to little to fully enjoy it.

As for games, I vehemently recommend playing Scratches, although unfortunately if you don't already own it digitally you only have the option to buy any physical version you can find or resort to illegal downloads. I really hope this gets sorted out in the future, because it's a damn shame not being able to buy it.

It's not your typical jump scare fest, it grows on you. A lot! It was one of the few games which made me constantly want to play it, and I could hardly put it away, I was compelled to keep playing it. My favourite part, which I still remember vividly, is how they achieved a scene which is extremely scary (or at least it can make you really uneasy) without any visible/real reason for you to be scared (the first time you go down that damn basement!).

Besides the games already mentioned, if you are into adventure games, Jack the Ripper and Post Mortem are two games which, although not scary per se, have a great mood, specially because of the game ambient and music used.

Last Halloween I started playing the Alone in the Dark games, intending on binging the original trilogy and New Nightmare, well, how did that turned out, you ask? Let's say I hope to finally finish Alone in the Dark 3 this fall! The first game, although with it's share of old age related problems, it's still engrossing and it can still be a bit chilling. The other 2, well, not so much...

As for movies, I'm trying to remember which was the last Horror movie I've seen, and I'm guessing it would be Horns although the horror is somewhat "light". I enjoyed the movie, although I ended up falling asleep during a damn long commercial break... It happens when you resort to watching movies only played on open TV networks.

Regarding movies, maybe there's some GOGer who can help me track down an old sci-fi horror movie. I watched it sometime during the 90s, so I'm guessing it was made in the 80s, or early 90s. It wasn't a big budget movie. It was about a scientist guy who invents some kind of machine who brings an extra-dimensional small creature of sorts to our dimension and he eventually gets bitten by it and starts turning into a monster. Ring any bells to anyone? This is basically all I remember of it (and I hope my memory isn't playing tricks on me).
Glad to hear you enjoy the thread! I actually have Post Mortem but never played it, so I decided to install it and give it a try some time soon. Might check out Scratches as well, if I get the chance.

Have you tried the latest Alone in the Dark game? It's not as bad as its reputation, imho. It has its flaws, but also some very fun and creative game elements. I enjoyed it overall.
doccarnby: Watched Dawn of the Mummy. It tries, poorly, to ape Fulci, and you get hints of him in the last... 15 minutes, but it's really difficult to get to that bit. Slow, ponderous, it's probably best avoided.
You remind me that I have not a single mummy themed Horror film in my collection. Are there any good ones? ( Excluding those modern Action/Adventure CGI flicks... Which are fun, but not really Horror. )
Post edited October 14, 2017 by CharlesGrey