It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

CharlesGrey: Well, um... Thanks for sharing your feelings with the rest of us. Now shoo~
morolf: Hey, at least I did recommend you a movie as well ("Dead Silence"). You can watch it, it's scary!
tinyE: What kind of an ass clown hates Halloween!?
morolf: Halloween is cultural imperialism. I don't care if it's "celebrated" in the US, but it has no place in the rest of the world.
For someone who gets so bent out shape about being told what he can and cannot say you sure seem to enjoy telling people what they should and should not be able to do.
tinyE: But seriously? What kind of an ass clown hates Halloween!? XD
The Catholic Church for one, at least over here. Every year they rally to opose that satanic and pagan tradition corrupting our children yadda yadda and so on.
Breja: The Catholic Church for one, at least over here. Every year they rally to opose that satanic and pagan tradition corrupting our children yadda yadda and so on.
you aren't helping. :P

HEY BACK OT TO ALL:

Now that I'm getting a new system and can play some of these legendary horror games, what RE titles should I try?

Is there any way to legally get any of the Silent Hill games without going to Amazon and paying $50?
Breja: The Catholic Church for one, at least over here. Every year they rally to opose that satanic and pagan tradition corrupting our children yadda yadda and so on.
Well, at least that sounds like a party! Kinda ironic, considering for centuries they've been the ones who have been spreading stories about demons and eternal damnation in hellfire, to adults and children alike. Maybe they feel their monopoly is threatened. Should have signed up for a trademark or something.
tinyE: you aren't helping. :P

HEY BACK OT TO ALL:

Now that I'm getting a new system and can play some of these legendary horror games, what RE titles should I try?

Is there any way to legally get any of the Silent Hill games without going to Amazon and paying $50?
The remake of Resident Evil 1 is one of the best of the series, if you haven't played it. Not very demanding, either. But since you're upgrading your hardware, you could try Resident Evil 7. It's a bit different, but a great Horror game overall.

And as for Silent Hill, either grab an old PS2 and play SH2, 3 and maybe 4, or just play them via emulator. I don't know how available the PC versions are, and whether the ports were any good. ( Don't even know if they all had a PC version. )
Post edited October 12, 2017 by CharlesGrey
CharlesGrey: Maybe you just need to find the right sub-genres of Horror which you find enjoyable. There are certain types of Horror games and films which I don't enjoy either, because they're boring to me, or just unpleasant or annoying in some way.
Breja: For one thing, I hate gore and jump scares. It has to be about the mood, tension and mystery, not buckets of blood or loud noises. One or two jump scares are ok, but only if they're earned (The Woman in Black version from 1989 has one of the best, earned jump scares I remember).

And on the other hand, a lot of horrors that people consider scary, I find just plain silly. This may sound weird, but I consider The Exorcist to be downright hilarious. It's just so goofy, with the little girl with a spinning head and a silly voice... I don't know, maybe I'm just weird, but I watched the whole thing like it was a comedy. I even found some moments in the Omen kinda funny.

Oh, and I hate zombies. If it's about zombies, then I just don't care. And found footage. I can't stand it. It's unwatchable and usually nonsensical.
CharlesGrey: I see you're primarily a fan of the classics. I mostly watch Horror films from the 80s as well. Do you have any favorites among modern Horror films?
Breja: A few (though I have not seen many). There's a spanish movie The Orphanage which I remember was really good, and scary as hell. Cronos and The Devil's Spine by Guillermo del Toro were also great (Pan's Labirynth was even better, but I don't consider it a horror). I really liked 1408 based on the Stephen King short story, it was exactly the kind of "mood & mystery" horror I like. The new It was ok, although it had too many jump scares for my liking, and at times did get almost comedy- level silly. I guess I like it, but think of it more as a mystery/adventure type thing, like a dark version of Goonies, rather than as a horror.
I can appreciate most genres of Horror, with a few exceptions, as long as the films ( or games ) are well made and creative. As for the Zombie sub-genre, I still kinda like 'em, but it's definitely overdone, and there's a lot of uninspired junk out there, I'll give you that. I don't know if you've seen it, but I can recommend Zombieland, even to people who don't normally like the genre. It's more of a comedy parody of zombie movies, and it has some great actors, including Woody Harrelson and Bill Murray. Just a very fun film, all around. I also liked the early seasons of The Walking Dead, and the first season of TellTale's Walking Dead game. Interestingly, both could have worked without the zombies, since they're primarily stories about ordinary people trying to survive in extreme situations. The zombies could easily be replaced with any number of other life threatening events, and the primary focus is on the human characters and how they deal with the situation.

I haven't seen the new version of "It" yet, and I'm not sure I care to. Not really a fan of all those remakes, especially in cases where the original was good. Most of the time the remakes turn out disappointing, and I don't have much trust in the modern film industry to actually improve upon any of the classics.
ariaspi: I'm not a fan of the Horror genre but I do like some movies, though I'm not sure if all fit this category. They Live (1988), 28 Days Later (2002), 28 Weeks Later (2007), Ghosts of Mars (2001), Resident Evil (2002) (just the 1st one).

Probably there are a few others that now I forget about. But my favourite ones are The Mist (2007), Sinister (2012) (not Sinister 2) and Dawn of the Dead (2004).

I plan to see those "The Conjuring" that I keep hearing about, maybe they are that good, but I doubt it - we'll see.

As for games, I haven't played many, but Clive Barker's Undying is very good and Painkiller, if it's considered horror. The Suffering and Dead Space are okay. Also F.E.A.R. and its expansions are dear to me, but I don't see them as horror.
Horror is a fairly vague term, so I'm sure most of your examples fit into one sub-genre or another.

Undying is great, and one of the few cases where I'd actually like to see a remake, or some kind of sequel in the same style. I tried F.E.A.R. a few years back but couldn't really get into it. Maybe it gets better later on, but the first few hours just felt like a generic military shooter to me, with the occasional spooky scripted sequence ( some of which were pretty cool ).
tinyE: Other good titles from my DVD Collection: "28 Days Later", "28 Weeks Later", "Let The Right One In", "The Exorcist", "Faces of Death", "Rosemary's Baby", "Invasion of The Body Snatchers (1978)", the original "Dawn of the Dead", and of course the move widely accepted as the greatest horror film of all time, the original 1968 "Night of the Living Dead".
I'd recommend checking out 30 Days of Night. I quite like that one.

As for games, I haven't gotten around to them yet (they dwell in the backlog), but I have to think the Dead Space games would fit here.
bad_fur_day1: As a connoisseur of all things horrific, I like to think there's different horror genres within the horror genre.

For example there's gory (Saw), horrific (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Devils Rejects), scary (Paranormal Activity), comedy (Return of the Living Dead, Drag Me To Hell), real horror (Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer), sadistic (Hannibal), nauseating (The Girl Next Door, Human Centipede, I Spit on your Grave), macabre (The Shinning), classic (Bram Stoker's Dracula), psychological (The Cell, Hellraiser 1)

It depends on what your into. :D
One could argue about the specific sub-genre names and their definition, but they certainly exist, and I enjoy most of them to some degree.

I think my favorite sub-genre of Horror is over the top 80s style comedy Horror, such as Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, or modern interpretations such as Drag Me To Hell, Feast (1) or Don Coscarelli's John Dies at the End.
bad_fur_day1: I take beef with not liking Dracula. :p Wonderful visuals, epic performance by Gary Oldman.
True, I can't judge how far it strays from the original novel, since I've never read it, but I'd say it's easily the best Dracula film overall, and one of the best vampire films.
CharlesGrey: I think my favorite sub-genre of Horror is over the top 80s style comedy Horror, such as Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, or modern interpretations such as Drag Me To Hell, Feast (1) or Don Coscarelli's John Dies at the End.
I love Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (and almost everything Raimi directed before Spider-Man), and I was terribly disappointed by Drag Me to Hell. It neither scared me nor made me laugh. But hey, we have Ash vs Evil Dead now, so things are groovy!
mistermumbles: Does Alien Isolation count? I'm not typically one for horror games/movies because they don't do anything for me. *shrug*
I'd definitely call that Horror -- The original Alien films and their creature designs still creep me out! Easily one of the nastiest and best designed creatures in the history of ( Sci-Fi ) Horror.
GR00T: I'd recommend checking out 30 Days of Night. I quite like that one.
Yeah, you are right! Totally forgot about that one. I like it a lot. :)
bad_fur_day1: As for videogames I would recommend taking a trip to Silent Hill.
Been there, done that. Well, technically I've only played the classic Silent Hill games, 1 to 4, but as far as I know the series went downhill after that. I can recommend the second one to anyone new to the series, since it's generally considered one of the best Horror games, and its story is only loosely connected to the rest of the series.

As for games, I haven't gotten around to them yet (they dwell in the backlog), but I have to think the Dead Space games would fit here.
Regarding modern vampire Horror ( anyone who mentions or recommends Twilight shall be slapped with a smelly old fish ), I'd also recommend Daybreakers and I really like the series "The Strain". Finished watching the first season this month and will write a short review eventually.

I've played Dead Space 1 on my Xbox back when it was new and thought it was very good overall. Not without flaws, but some of the game elements felt quite innovative at the time. I started playing DS2 last year, but it didn't capture me as much as the first one; felt too much like more of the same. Maybe I'll finish it later this month or next one.
CharlesGrey: I think my favorite sub-genre of Horror is over the top 80s style comedy Horror, such as Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, or modern interpretations such as Drag Me To Hell, Feast (1) or Don Coscarelli's John Dies at the End.
Breja: I love Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (and almost everything Raimi directed before Spider-Man), and I was terribly disappointed by Drag Me to Hell. It neither scared me nor made me laugh. But hey, we have Ash vs Evil Dead now, so things are groovy!
Well, it's no Evil Dead, but it had its moments. Campbell's performance in Evil Dead, and especially in Evil Dead 2, is borderline insane. Half of the time I was wondering if he's actually crazy, or just a brilliant actor. Then again, they say there's a fine line between genius and madman. Going to watch the first season of Ash vs Evil Dead later this month!

By the way, you're a fan of Twin Peaks, right? Have you played Deadly Premonition?
CharlesGrey: Well, it's no Evil Dead, but it had its moments. Campbell's performance in Evil Dead, and especially in Evil Dead 2, is borderline insane. Half of the time I was wondering if he's actually crazy, or just a brilliant actor. Then again, they say there's a fine line between genius and madman.
Campbell is great in everything. Evil Dead, Brisco County Jr, Jack of All Trades, He even turned in a legit great dramatic/comedic performace in Bubba Ho-Tep, a movie that had no right to be nearly as good as it is. I've got a mile-long list of roles I wish he played (some still viable, some he's now to old for).

CharlesGrey: By the way, you're a fan of Twin Peaks, right? Have you played Deadly Premonition?
I'd love to. I can't get it to run :P
tinyE: Other good titles from my DVD Collection: "28 Days Later", "28 Weeks Later", "Let The Right One In", "The Exorcist", "Faces of Death", "Rosemary's Baby", "Invasion of The Body Snatchers (1978)", the original "Dawn of the Dead", and of course the move widely accepted as the greatest horror film of all time, the original 1968 "Night of the Living Dead".
I gotta say I was a little disappointed with that.

For sure there was some great stuff, and the vampires WERE BRILLIANT, but there was a lot of other not so brilliant stuff that kind of brought it down. Still, not a bad suggestion.
I haven't had much time for watching horror movies so far this season. Usually I try to focus on a certain theme - last year I watched all of the 1930s Universal films - and I was thinking maybe I'd do Hammer this year, or Italian horror, but we'll see. My wife wanted to watch Friday the 13th 1 and 2, so we watched those, although I fell asleep in the middle of the first one. I've seen them many times even though they're not very good (well, part 6 is pretty good).

I've had a bit more luck with gaming as I've played through The Lurking Horror and Project Firestart so far, and I'm working on Eternal Darkness and Alien Isolation. Not sure if I'l finish those before Halloween. Also started Veil of Darkness, and I should probably go back and finish Shadow of the Comet, which I started last year and had to abandon. Probably have to totally restart that one...