It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The penultimate patch.

It's a major milestone in the development of <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span>, as the penultimate major update drops today!

"Life in Technicolor" will be the last update released during the development period, adding new Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (although not final yet), an AI rework and much more. Today also marks the previously-announced price change, bringing We Happy Few to full price.

Of course, this is not <span class="bold">We Happy Few</span> final form yet, as one more major update is scheduled to coincide with the game's official release date.

You can see more recent news about the update and more on the developers' blog.
high rated
CharlesGrey: You know, something just occurred to me... Isn't the whole point of crowdfunding, that dev teams and customers alike don't have to deal with traditional "AAA" publishing companies and all of their bullshit?
Manywhelps: Honestly, when we went into Kickstarter, we didn't think we'd do Early Access ... we began to realise what people wanted we needed to find other sources of funding ... we only did because Gearbox said "go bigger, you can do it". If we had made 10-20x the amount of money on Kickstarter, then we may not have gone down this route.
They'll get something much bigger than we anticipated and they bought into ... if people weren't immediately "what the fuck, this is a survival game?" we might not have focused as much as we have on story.
I just have to say there's an awful lot of 'we're transparent', yet none of these changes were communicated, until now, and also way too much 'if customers hadn't' blaming. Really sick of it, and this is a no sale, even if it comes to Linux, which I don't expect Gearbox to allow. People don't have to give or be interested when there's these kind of things going on, and the 'we had to' and 'you'll be glad in the end' is the final straw. What a depressing thread, that just isn't about play at all, but about big business and agenda being pushed. Now that's said, I'm done with this.
high rated
Refund received .

Good luck developers . Since you choosed Gearbox you will really need it .
victorchopin: Indie AAA/AA and indies can coexist, righte-y? Right, guys!?
It's like a 5-Star dive bar
high rated
Manywhelps: ... we began to realise what people wanted we needed to find other sources of funding. Likewise when we went into Early Access we weren't considering publishing - and we only did because Gearbox said "go bigger, you can do it". If we had made 10-20x the amount of money on Kickstarter, then we may not have gone down this route. But we didn't.

I don't think it's a slap in the face. The game would not be what it is becoming without all those Kickstarter players. They'll get something much bigger than we anticipated and they bought into...
So the creators didn't have a clear vision of what they wanted to make when putting up the kickstarter, (even though the KS was like 'THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO!") Then they decided to cater to the more vocal desires of their backers (who were backing a smaller independent project, that is what they were supporting, at least in part), and then decided to go major publisher and change their game, again, to be bigger scope, because the publisher pushed them to.

That sounds like zero creative integrity and makes me sooo much less interested in this game.

It is also seeming to me like the Life in Technicolor update + price increase is a "whoops, we made the game wrongly at first in so many ways (AI, UI, game mechanics) and now need to remake it a bit and so that's going to take a lot more time and money."
Post edited August 17, 2017 by drealmer7
victorchopin: Indie AAA/AA and indies can coexist, righte-y? Right, guys!?
drealmer7: It's like a 5-Star dive bar
It's all in the mind, pal! As a wise man once said, play (music) "for 60 or 60.000, it's all in the mind". Yeah right ;P
Manywhelps: ... we began to realise what people wanted we needed to find other sources of funding. Likewise when we went into Early Access we weren't considering publishing - and we only did because Gearbox said "go bigger, you can do it". If we had made 10-20x the amount of money on Kickstarter, then we may not have gone down this route. But we didn't.

I don't think it's a slap in the face. The game would not be what it is becoming without all those Kickstarter players. They'll get something much bigger than we anticipated and they bought into...
drealmer7: So the creators didn't have a clear vision of what they wanted to make when putting up the kickstarter, (even though the KS was like 'THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO!") Then they decided to cater to the more vocal desires of their backers (who were backing a smaller independent project, that is what they were supporting, at least in part), and then decided to go major publisher and change their game, again, to be bigger scope, because the publisher pushed them to.

That sounds like zero creative integrity and makes me sooo much less interested in this game.

It is also seeming to me like the Life in Technicolor update + price increase is a "whoops, we made the game wrongly at first in so many ways (AI, UI, game mechanics) and now need to remake it a bit and so that's going to take a lot more time and money."
At least they learned that from Randy.
I'm so glad. dodged a bullet here.
Manywhelps: Message passed on! Can't promise anything seeing as it's just one slack message, but there you go.
vidsgame: Thank you. That was quite nice of you. I appreciate you responding to the comments about why you went with Gearbox instead of publishing on your own.

It makes a lot sense in terms of money. The issue basically boils down to either money or time. It could be done without money but then the release date gets pushed back by I have no idea, a few years, a decade or two. When you have money you could have a team work on more problems at the same time instead of tackling one at a time.

How long would people are really willing to wait? Another question is, especially for people just starting to get into the business of making video games: How long are you willing to delay making something big that a lot of people will buy?
Tough question. Typically we're limited by funding. In this case, Gearbox isn't funding development, we have separate funding for that. Gearbox is helping in other ways (and in good ways too - this is far from the typical predatory publishing situation).

From what people have told me, they'd rather wait than have a game rushed. But that's a gamer comment, not a developer comment. A developer will just do the best in the time they have, which is dictated by funding. Only very big companies "rush" things out the door to meet yearly sales targets. Most of us rush it out the door because we're out of time.
Mjauv: The danes behind "Interstellar marines" called their game "Indie AAA". Things haven't exactly worked out so well for them so far.

Well, kudos for the transparency and the fact that you actually take time to answer all questions.

I have personally always longed for more AAA-releases on GOG so I'm happy about things and the fact that WHF is having more narrative focus.

And since you are so transparent, which people would you say bitch the most in the comment sections on average, GOG-players or Steam-players? ;-)
I think those labels aren't particularly helpful. There are some small Indie games that provide a better experience than AAA games that don't do anything new. I think each game should be judged on its own merits.

Hah, you know, GOG players can get pretty riled up but at least they read responses and are fair, thinking people. A lot of Steam players just rage against the machine. It can be quite maddening.
Manywhelps: Honestly, when we went into Kickstarter, we didn't think we'd do Early Access ... we began to realise what people wanted we needed to find other sources of funding ... we only did because Gearbox said "go bigger, you can do it". If we had made 10-20x the amount of money on Kickstarter, then we may not have gone down this route.
They'll get something much bigger than we anticipated and they bought into ... if people weren't immediately "what the fuck, this is a survival game?" we might not have focused as much as we have on story.
artistgog: I just have to say there's an awful lot of 'we're transparent', yet none of these changes were communicated, until now, and also way too much 'if customers hadn't' blaming. Really sick of it, and this is a no sale, even if it comes to Linux, which I don't expect Gearbox to allow. People don't have to give or be interested when there's these kind of things going on, and the 'we had to' and 'you'll be glad in the end' is the final straw. What a depressing thread, that just isn't about play at all, but about big business and agenda being pushed. Now that's said, I'm done with this.
I think you're looking for something to be angry about. We have communicated weekly for over two years. We haven't released the full story because we've been preparing for this for a while... that's not being untransparent, but when you're still working things out you don't talk about them. That's normal.

We've stated repeatedly that the game is coming to linux. It's in our trailers. It was in our Kickstarter. You're the person that's jaded here, not Gearbox, and not us.
drealmer7: So the creators didn't have a clear vision of what they wanted to make when putting up the kickstarter, (even though the KS was like 'THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO!") Then they decided to cater to the more vocal desires of their backers (who were backing a smaller independent project, that is what they were supporting, at least in part), and then decided to go major publisher and change their game, again, to be bigger scope, because the publisher pushed them to.

Visions change man. That's exactly what creativity is. You start with something, and evolve it every step of the way. In the end, the world lore, game mechanics, and story are all still within the umbrella of what we decided in early 2014. It's just that the scope of each thing has increased. The story is more developed, the cutscenes are higher quality, the mechanics are more polished, etc.

I think you're also not very familiar with how game development works, and you haven't played the game. We reworked the AI because we wanted to do more with it, we reworked the UI because the art was always temp and we wanted to add more functionality/polish. Why you think changing from a grid to a weight based inventory system mid development and improving what you build is beyond me.

And I think you have to be looking for an argument if you think We Happy Few isn't all about creativity.

Instead of ranting complete and utter nonsense, why don't you ask why we made these calls? I'm literally right here to answer. And I'm very happy to - game development is very complicated and I like talking about it.
Post edited August 17, 2017 by Manywhelps
Manywhelps: Visions change man. That's exactly what creativity is. You start with something, and evolve it every step of the way. In the end, the world lore, game mechanics, and story are all still within the umbrella of what we decided in early 2014. It's just that the scope of each thing has increased. The story is more developed, the cutscenes are higher quality, the mechanics are more polished, etc.

I think you're also not very familiar with how game development works, and you haven't played the game.
You should have a talk with George Broussard. He had boku bucks to spare from his previous title "Duke Nukem 3D". Every time he saw something cool on TV he came to the game developers and told them "Wow! We need that too!". That guy had visions man. Visions during game _implementation_. And made his employees add them at that time. He even bragged about how he can keep going as the money is there. Well.. after felt decades the money was gone and Gearbox bought the game, cut out about half of the game (the _really_ unfinished parts) and.. nothing more. Just shat it out to the customer. If you find the time play Duke Nukem Forever. You will see a concatenation of awesome tech demos, but with the core game loop (shooting enemies) _still_ broken, like the animations of the enemies look like "Duke Nukem 3D" from decades prior. This is what you get man. This is what you get then.
I don't need to play any of your games to know changing "vision" of a game at implementation time is deadly news. I don't even need to be a game developer. I don't even need to be familiar with how game development works. I just need to read history. In this case: 3drealms forums and assorted posts from individuals over the ages.
Post edited August 18, 2017 by AlienMind
Manywhelps: Visions change man. That's exactly what creativity is. You start with something, and evolve it every step of the way. In the end, the world lore, game mechanics, and story are all still within the umbrella of what we decided in early 2014. It's just that the scope of each thing has increased. The story is more developed, the cutscenes are higher quality, the mechanics are more polished, etc.

I think you're also not very familiar with how game development works, and you haven't played the game.
AlienMind: You should have a talk with George Broussard. He had boku bucks to spare from his previous title "Duke Nukem 3D". Every time he saw something cool on TV he came to the game developers and told them "Wow! We need that too!". That guy had visions man. Visions during game _implementation_. And made his employees add them at that time. He even bragged about how he can keep going as the money is there. Well.. after felt decades the money was gone and Gearbox bought the game, cut out about half of the game (the _really_ unfinished parts) and.. nothing more. Just shat it out to the customer. If you find the time play Duke Nukem Forever. You will see a concatenation of awesome tech demos, but with the core game loop (shooting enemies) _still_ broken, like the animations of the enemies look like "Duke Nukem 3D" from decades prior. This is what you get man. This is what you get then.
I don't need to play any of your games to know changing "vision" of a game at implementation time is deadly news. I don't even need to be a game developer. I don't even need to be familiar with how game development works. I just need to read history. In this case: 3drealms forums and assorted posts from individuals over the ages.
Wow that's crazy.

But that's a very extreme case - you can't apply that to all situations. In any case, what's a vision? I can show you the "vision" for the game from 2014. It's a set of cards on a wall. Right now, we fit bang into that vision. It's just that certain cards have been expanded, and others reduced. Our case is definitely unusual due to two different rounds of scope increases, but that's game development. Things change, and it's okay if they do for the right reasons.
Manywhelps: In this case, Gearbox isn't funding development, we have separate funding for that. [?]

artistgog: I just have to say there's an awful lot of 'we're transparent', yet none of these changes were communicated, until now, and also way too much 'if customers hadn't' blaming. Really sick of it, and this is a no sale, even if it comes to Linux, which I don't expect Gearbox to allow. People don't have to give or be interested when there's these kind of things going on, and the 'we had to' and 'you'll be glad in the end' is the final straw. What a depressing thread, that just isn't about play at all, but about big business and agenda being pushed. Now that's said, I'm done with this.
Manywhelps: I think you're looking for something to be angry about. We have communicated weekly for over two years. We haven't released the full story because we've been preparing for this for a while... that's not being untransparent, but when you're still working things out you don't talk about them. That's normal.
You're the person that's jaded here, not Gearbox, and not us.
Manywhelps: I think you're also not very familiar with how game development works, and you haven't played the game. Why you think changing from a grid to a weight based inventory system mid development and improving what you build is beyond me.
And I think you have to be looking for an argument if you think We Happy Few isn't all about creativity.

Instead of ranting complete and utter nonsense, why don't you ask why we made these calls? I'm literally right here to answer. And I'm very happy to - game development is very complicated and I like talking about it.
That's just rude. I rest my case.
Post edited August 18, 2017 by artistgog
It's really sad to see a developer try to have a civil conversation, only to be met with rude, obnoxious trolling. The trolls pretend as though they have the right to be extremely rude and ignorant, and as soon as the target of their trolling calls them out on it, they get butthurt. It's time to grow up, people.
Post edited August 18, 2017 by finkleroy
Manywhelps: Instead of ranting complete and utter nonsense
wow

definitely not buying your game now, good job!

I was sharing my view / thoughts on it, which seem pretty valid (to me), and in response, you're just a dismissive dick!

I was going to try and have discourse, but now I don't actually care.

go pop some pills and continue to delude yourself that the price hike is valid

I mean, I'm sure you need the money, but it seems to be because you spent too long developing things that you aren't going to use and realized it late. Poor project management, and you can't openly admit that, but the least you could have done was ignored me rather than antagonize a potential customer.
Post edited August 18, 2017 by drealmer7
finkleroy: It's really sad to see a developer try to have a civil conversation, only to be met with rude, obnoxious trolling. The trolls pretend as though they have the right to be extremely rude and ignorant, and as soon as the target of their trolling calls them out on it, they get butthurt. It's time to grow up, people.
lol!
vidsgame: Thank you. That was quite nice of you. I appreciate you responding to the comments about why you went with Gearbox instead of publishing on your own.

It makes a lot sense in terms of money. The issue basically boils down to either money or time. It could be done without money but then the release date gets pushed back by I have no idea, a few years, a decade or two. When you have money you could have a team work on more problems at the same time instead of tackling one at a time.

How long would people are really willing to wait? Another question is, especially for people just starting to get into the business of making video games: How long are you willing to delay making something big that a lot of people will buy?
Manywhelps: Tough question. Typically we're limited by funding. In this case, Gearbox isn't funding development, we have separate funding for that. Gearbox is helping in other ways (and in good ways too - this is far from the typical predatory publishing situation).

From what people have told me, they'd rather wait than have a game rushed. But that's a gamer comment, not a developer comment. A developer will just do the best in the time they have, which is dictated by funding. Only very big companies "rush" things out the door to meet yearly sales targets. Most of us rush it out the door because we're out of time.
It was more of a question to think about than a direct question. Still, it helps shed light on the issue and specifically the hurdles you guys faced. However, people fail to see that you have to weigh your options and even the right option may feel wrong depending on the reception you get. That was more of what I was trying to get at.
Yeah they are a team of about 3 to 4 People - this game has been in greenlight for ages I supported them when it was IN ALPHA version right from the beginning! Making games IS NOT EASY I Repeat NOT EASY

Me I'm toying around in unity at the moment!

I bought all these books on unity 5 and then unity team changed it to 2017.1 shouldn't be too different
Post edited August 18, 2017 by fr33kSh0w2012