It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In a dark cyberpunk world shattered by plagues and wars, you become a neural police detective who hacks into the jagged minds of others. Observer: System Redux, the definitive vision of the award-winning cyberpunk thriller, is now available on GOG.COM with a 10% discount lasting until 17th November 2020, 5 PM UTC!

Furthermore, Observer: System Redux Deluxe Edition (along with the OST and digital artbook) will be available on GOG.COM at the same price as the standard game until 24th November, 5 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG.COM account to join now!
MarkoH01: your pic of the new version looks as if there's a special scanning mode turned on
fronzelneekburm: If only...

I assure you, this is what it actually looks like. Check it on youtube, it's right at the beginning of the game. I honestly thought it was my graphics card glitching out, but the various benchmarking videos (that I assume have all the settings maxed out) look exactly the same. Once you get into the apartment of the first murder victim, the color changes to something more natural looking. Why they decided to slap these obscene color filters on top of everything is beyond me.
You are still wrong. This effect is ONLY in the beginning. Just watch another youtube video from the original at the beginning:

https://youtu.be/YqbVEZji3fk?t=1548

(Timecode won't work for me but it is at around 15:48)
Post edited November 12, 2020 by MarkoH01
Warning: The new Observer won't simply start with DX11 (which is needed to launch in Win7 which is supported according to the gamecard). You need to add the launch parameter -dx11 to start the game if you are using Win7.

If you are doing this the regular way, you won't be able to access the overlay when playing the game. For the overlay to work as well in Observer in GOG Galaxy on Win7 you need to close Galaxy, edit the file "goggame-1585377690.info" and add the following line (including the ","):

"arguments": "-dx11",

just before the line "type": "Filetask"

Start Galaxy again and now overlay will work and game will start. I already created a support ticket for this so consider it to be a workaround.

Just fyi: The youtube video I posted earlier is not representative for the quality of the full release. I critizised i.e. that they removed the red alarm lights in the beginninge and could now notice that they are there in the final game. So far the game looks quite a bit better than the original iirc (it has been a while since I played the original). They added quite a bit of effects to it that really increases the atmosphere.
Post edited November 13, 2020 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: This effect is ONLY in the beginning.
Y tho? Is there any compelling reason they drenched everything in teal at the start of the game? Some explanatory backstory I might have missed?

Ok, here's a more accurate representation of what the remaster looks like. One pic has raytracing enabled, one doesn't. The pics aren't labelled, because I couldn't tell the difference. In-game, you can tell the difference because one version will run at a steady 60+FPS, the other runs at "barely-makes-it-into-the-double-digits-and-will-set-your-PC-on-fire" FPS.

The main difference/upside to enabling raytracing is that they put mirrors everywhere, so you can now admire yourself (or rather: admire elderly Rutger Hauer) by looking into those (you could only do that twice, I think. in the original game ). Kinda sad they didn't just put in a third person mode - one of my complaints with the original is that they made a pretty good looking 3D model of Rutger Hauer but you almost never saw it. A Tomb Raider-type third person mode would have looked like crap since the game takes place almost entirely in narrow corridors, but I can see a Resident Evil mode with fixed cameras that switches into first person for the parts where you hack people's minds working pretty well.
Attachments:
MarkoH01: This effect is ONLY in the beginning.
fronzelneekburm: Y tho? Is there any compelling reason they drenched everything in teal at the start of the game? Some explanatory backstory I might have missed?
Well, as I said, they did so in the original as well. I guess it is some kind of scanning mode the main character turns off after the alarm has been shut down.

I've played the new Observer a bit (without raytracing) and it really looks much better than the original, I'll have to say. I am not surprised that the main differenve between RTX on and off would be mirrors since that is when RTX is shining the most imo. I think the FPP works fine in this game because of the augmentations and the different scanning modes. Of course those might also work in TPP but imo it would not create the same feeling. Of corse this is my subjective opinion only :)
Post edited November 13, 2020 by MarkoH01
Ghildrean: For original owners, the new version was available for preorder at 80% discount.
WinterSnowfall: Thanks. Must have missed it, but I'm not entirely sure I would have taken advantage of it anyway. I guess I'll wait until it eventually goes on sale.
I needed some time to think about it, wait for some videos and stuff to decide if it would be worth it. Just decided to get it for the discounted price as an owner of the original.. But now it's full price for me.

Wait for sale I guess, but I'll remember it was €5 so I'll wait for a sale that at least matches that. That is, if by that time I'm still interested.
I have finished the game including all the new sidequests. Imo it is not worth full price if you already own the original. The graphical improvements are there (even though they changed one dream sequence graphically in which I prefered the old look) but the new sidequests are not really worth mentioning imo. One of those three sidequests even involves an appartment that was already in the original (app.017) but which they now moved and made an additional sidequest out of it providing more background because of one added dream sequence for explanation. The other two (one mostly being a search for specific items hidden somehwere) are not that great at all. I was happy when one of thosetwo imo rather boring sidequests offered me the opportunity to link with somebody again because I was hoping to get more exciting dream sequences ... but I was wrong. The whole dream sequence is not much more that the same house a bit redesigned and a really stupid conclusion. I guess the additional content is worth the price of a small DLC but not much more imo.

Could not find anything of what is advertized on the gamecard:
"On top of that, System Redux offers expanded gameplay, which includes new game mechanics, new secrets to find, redesigned stealth, additional neural interrogations, and quality-of-life improvements made with the help of the Observer community."

No new mechanics, no new gameplay elements and stealth still sucks ... also I have no idea what kind of quality of life improvement they might mean . maybe the option to adjust some graphical settings and subtitle size?
Post edited November 15, 2020 by MarkoH01