It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Among many genres, you may argue that 2D platformers changed the least across decades. Yet, as always, the devil is in the details!

The Lion King – 1994
This classic game based on the box office hit from Disney was widely regarded as one of the best 2D platformers in the genre. Not only did it faithfully emulate the atmosphere of the animated film with its gorgeous graphics. The Lion King from 1994 was also widely regarded as a highly challenging title to finish.

Hollow Knight – 2017
Modern platform games can be as challenging as the ones from the past. Hollow Knight is no exception here, even more so because it brings the freedom to explore a vast world to the table. The game is also known for its gorgeous classically styled 2D visuals that make this title accessible to both younger and adult gamers alike.

Check out more nostalgic platformers in our [url= https://www.gog.com/promo/ 2022_summer_sale_action?utm_medium=editorial&utm_source=content&utm_campaign=2022060_summer_sale_gog&utm_term= EN]Action Collection[/url] during this Summer Sale on GOG!
GOG.com: The game is also known for its gorgeous classically styled 2D visuals that make this title accessible to both younger and adult gamers alike.
... I mean yeah, but be warned traveler, the road ahead is hard and the bosses are merciless!
what about everyone's favorite cult classic Speedy Eggbert aka Speedy Blupi, made freeware a few years back?

Or Noop's Odyssey ;)
Post edited June 22, 2022 by tfishell
Side scrolling 2d video games were very popular during the 80's and 90's until 3d graphics became popular and with them the FPS. I remember games like Doom that simulated 3d (a masterpiece of id software considering the limitations of the time) or those (Japanese) vertical scrolling shooters that gave the feeling of depth inside the stage. The 80's and 90's were a wonderful time. Music, movies, video games had a certain magic.

It's always nice to see 2d side-scrolling video games today. Especially those that enhance and pay tribute to pixel art.
Might want to tweak "If you liked the games in this article" games some.

The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 aren't even close to 2D platformers.
sqlrob: Might want to tweak "If you liked the games in this article" games some.

The Witcher series and Cyberpunk 2077 aren't even close to 2D platformers.
LOL! Thanks for the laugh GOG. :D

Oh and sqlrob should get a game for helping you optimizing your advertising... ;)
Post edited June 22, 2022 by gamefood
GOG.com: Check out more nostalgic platformers in our [url= https://www.gog.com/promo/ 2022_summer_sale_action?utm_medium=editorial&utm_source=content&utm_campaign=2022060_summer_sale_gog&a mp;utm_term= EN]Action Collection[/url] during this Summer Sale on GOG!
Link dosen't work (it's obviously unclickable), whether it's copy and pasted or clicked on from the main announcement article linked to from the front page news link at the base of the front page. Basically, there is no way to get to announced promo, hmmm...
Trooper1270: Link dosen't work (it's obviously unclickable), whether it's copy and pasted or clicked on from the main announcement article linked to from the front page news link at the base of the front page. Basically, there is no way to get to announced promo, hmmm...
There's some weird extraneous spaces in there, that's why. But it's the same "Action Collection" promo page that's been linked to from the front page since the beginning of the sale, or close to it; it's not platformer-specific. (If you can find the section that says "Browse by genre and save up to 90%", it's the first button underneath.)
Post edited June 23, 2022 by HunchBluntley
GOG.com: Check out more nostalgic platformers in our [url= https://www.gog.com/promo/ 2022_summer_sale_action?utm_medium=editorial&utm_source=content&utm_campaign=2022060_summer_sale_gog&a mp;utm_term= EN]Action Collection[/url] during this Summer Sale on GOG!
Trooper1270: Link dosen't work (it's obviously unclickable), whether it's copy and pasted or clicked on from the main announcement article linked to from the front page news link at the base of the front page. Basically, there is no way to get to announced promo, hmmm...
That seems to be a growing trend here at GOG -- post links that either don't work at all or don't work when posted but start working a day or two later.

Also, with the title "Gaming across generations: 2D platform games", am I the only one who expected the article to show more than two games?
cmclout: Also, with the title "Gaming across generations: 2D platform games", am I the only one who expected the article to show more than two games?
That's all they've been doing for this series of posts the whole sale through.

Overall, they've largely stopped posting anything of substance in these news posts -- the actual articles now get posted to the new blog. I just hope this isn't a prelude to them phasing out newsposts altogether.
HunchBluntley: it's not platformer-specific.
Ah!, I thought I was, or at least could have been. Thank's for letting us know that.
cmclout: Also, with the title "Gaming across generations: 2D platform games", am I the only one who expected the article to show more than two games?
Maybe the "D" is the mistake and the line was intended to be "Gaming across generations: 2 platform games".
Who knows, GOG moves in mysterious ways. ;)
cmclout: That seems to be a growing trend here at GOG -- post links that either don't work at all or don't work when posted but start working a day or two later.
Yeah, I've noticed that, and it can be quite frustrating...
Lol, a little more effort needed on their behalf, I believe. But maybe beating the traffic or getting that bus or train home is more important... :p
HunchBluntley: I just hope this isn't a prelude to them phasing out newsposts altogether.
Or possibly the entire forum...
Post edited June 23, 2022 by Trooper1270
HunchBluntley: I just hope this isn't a prelude to them phasing out newsposts altogether.
Trooper1270: Or possibly the entire forum...
That's why I'm worried about newsposts going away: if there's no more need for somewhere to put the comment threads, they might well just decide to put the whole General Discussion forum out of their misery. (Though even then, I kind of doubt they'd close down the game- and series-specific forums, if for no other reason than that those present a way to let customers help one another solve problems with games so that Support doesn't have to deal with them.)
HunchBluntley: I kind of doubt they'd close down the game- and series-specific forums, if for no other reason than that those present a way to let customers help one another solve problems with games so that Support doesn't have to deal with them.)
That could be where Galaxy could step in. Live chat (or whatever Galaxy users use to communicate) with other users to help fix problems/ give tips and other what have you's with the game/s they are all playing etc...