It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Did your favorites make the cut?

There was a time when everybody was looking at adventure games to introduce crazy technical innovations, explore unconventional stories, or just give us a strong argument against our dismissive parents who considered all games juvenile and insubstantial. Since the golden years of the graphic adventures, we've seen certain trends come and go, foreign genes spliced into the genre's DNA, and adventure games evolving into a variety of experiences that sometimes have little in common with their early predecessors.

Richard Cobbett, a longtime fan of adventure games and their close offspring, has recently compiled <span class="bold">a comprehensive list of 29+ titles</span> that all fans of the genre should check out. Newcomers and veterans are treated to an introduction to the history of adventure games, some advice on how to get started, and a list of the standouts, broken down into sub-categories for convenience: The Classics, Story-driven, Puzzles & Exploration.

Take your pick: there are all-around legends like The Secret of Monkey Island or Beneath a Steel Sky, masterpieces of storytelling like Grim Fandango or The Walking Dead, brain wreckers like Myst or Zork: Grand Inquisitor, and deliberately paced experiences like Gone Home.

Plenty of developers continue to be fascinated by the narrative possibilities of adventure games, even if they don't feel like adhering to their original formula. These 29 games (and the additional honorable mentions) are both celebrated classics and the product of experimentation with innovative ideas and are all more than worth your time.

So, how many of these have you already played and what others would you add to <span class="bold">IGN's list</span>, fellow adventurers?
Post edited May 22, 2017 by maladr0Id
maladr0Id: Ok, I don't know exactly what happened there but I seem to have messed stuff up while trying to quote people, post replies and handle other stuff at the same time.
So I accidentally deleted HunchBluntley's original suggestion that Richard Cobbett's article on IGN was sponsored by GOG and then his quote in my reply was falsely attributed to some other poster and now it's all just a big giant mess.

Apologies, this was most definitely NOT on purpose. I'm trying to sort this out as we speak :/
[...]
I'm really sorry, HunchBluntley. Hopefully, we'll manage to restore post #28 soon. Until then, it shall live on in our quotes, and our hearts :(
Ah, yes - with great power comes great responsibility and all that.
Thanks for the (subsequently also deleted) info about the Faust game! I shall keep an eye on it - seems a bugger to get working on modern systems, but maybe something can be done. There's a wishlist entry for it, for anyone reading this who's interested. Might not help, but probably won't hurt either.
WildHobgoblin: Thanks for the (subsequently also deleted) info about the Faust game! I shall keep an eye on it - seems a bugger to get working on modern systems, but maybe something can be done. There's a wishlist entry for it, for anyone reading this who's interested. Might not help, but probably won't hurt either.
Yeah, I decided to remove the Faust stuff because it would clutter the post and obscure the message. But glad you caught it. It's a very interesting game - not perfect but quite unique.
maladr0Id: Off the top of my head, I would definitely add to the list: Day of the Tentacle, Sanitarium, Discworld: Noir, Edna & Harvey The Breakout, Technobabylon, and possibly Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon or Faust: Seven Games of the Soul. Blade Runner was also pretty great.
vicklemos: And... no Primordia?!
I mean... I'm serious! :P
Hey, Primordia is a very neat game but not Best Of material for me. I guess it was partly because I played it with a 4-month interim that took away from the momentum :/

Now LOOM, that one I'm sorry to have missed from my list. Quite the compact masterpiece.
maladr0Id: Hey, Primordia is a very neat game but not Best Of material for me. I guess it was partly because I played it with a 4-month interim that took away from the momentum :/
Then you BSOD-ed the whole game along while refraining yourself from it and still think it's not a masterpiece?

Jk pal. Lists are absolutely personal, eh? While some say that the Godfather Trilogy, Shawshank Redemption, Batman and whatever are the *BEST MOVIES EVAH AND PERIOD, SHEEEESH... but, but.. I SAY SHEESH* I'll gladly state "nuh uh, hell no" ;)

You get the picture. Now lemme dive into my Mr. Mosquito 2 Hawaii while everyone else is on GTA V ;)
Post edited May 23, 2017 by vicklemos
The author of the list doesn't appear to be aware The Walking Dead is available here too.
maladr0Id: Ok, I don't know exactly what happened there but I seem to have messed stuff up while trying to quote people, post replies and handle other stuff at the same time.
So I accidentally deleted HunchBluntley's original suggestion that Richard Cobbett's article on IGN was sponsored by GOG and then his quote in my reply was falsely attributed to some other poster and now it's all just a big giant mess.

Apologies, this was most definitely NOT on purpose. I'm trying to sort this out as we speak :/

EDIT: So this was the part I was trying to reply to and ended up deleting the whole post:

HunchBluntley wrote:
"It's pretty clearly a GOG-sponsored article (all 29 of the primary recommendations, and all but 7 of the secondary ones, are available here in some form). I can just about guarantee they had some influence, as well."

I'm really sorry, HunchBluntley. Hopefully, we'll manage to restore post #28 soon. Until then, it shall live on in our quotes, and our hearts :(

EDIT2: So HunchBluntley's post #28 has sort of been restored. Sadly, it only contains the part I remembered (and tried to quote). So, HunchBluntely, if you can recall the rest of the contents, please feel free to edit post #28 and add them in there. Again, apologies for this mess :/
I'm not a random poster! I responded to that comment too. That was actually most of his comment, you're just missing the quoted part of my first comment (#25).
Games based on narrative and contextual puzzles linked to the story -in the best case scenario- have always been one if not the most subjective genre to review. We all know how different everyone's opinions were about tv shows and movies in those threads, with the ussual trend of everything I don't like it's the worst thing ever. The fact that people's opinions is so diverse on everygame, with lovers and haters alike.

And puzzles also do that, as indistinctively makes you feel like the smartest or dumbest person around. And we all have are own different thought processes, that align better with different adventures. So one man's difficult is another man's easy. And the funny part is that it can switch from one to another on different games... and even puzzles.

Basically, even if YOU think and adventure is bad... it's not. All adventures are great and should be here :P

All in all, several adventures we don't have in GOG that I'd like to highlight:
- The Neverhood (1996)
- Return Of The Phantom (1993) (we already have rex nebular & dragonsphere)
- Heart Of China (1991) (as a representative of the missing dynamix adventures)
- Ripley's Believe It Or Not!: The Riddle Of Master Lu (1995) (as the best known lee sheldon game, and representative of the sanctuary woods / southpeak games)
- Innocent Until Caught (1993) (where is Sega and the psygnosis p&c?)
- Black Dahlia (1998) (there's no excuse for the absense of the gametek / take two adventure games)
- The Bizarre Adventures Of Woodruff and The Schnibble of Azimuth (1995)
- Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All The Girls (1990) (as the first legend entertainment adventure game I know of, but they're all historically relevant)
- Nibiru (2005) (from the developers of the first Black Mirror game)
- A Vampyre Story (2008) (this was drm-free in other stores)
- Lost Horizon (2010) (... and the Secret Files games)
- Ankh (2005) (and the rest of Deck13 adventure's; we only have Jack Keane here)
- Lost Chronicles Of Zerzura (2012) (from the developers of Black Mirror 2 & 3)
- Yesterday (2012) (...and The Next Big Thing)
- Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure (1995) (we are still many games away from the full Cryo collection)
- Faust: Seven Games Of The Soul (1999)
- Time Gate: Knight's Chase (1995) (one of the Infogrames adventures)
- Blue Force (1993) (the Tsunami adventures)
- DiscWorld Noir (1999) (it's probably the best of the discworlds, but we want the three here)
- The Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes: The Case Of The Serrated Scalpel (1992) (The original Sherlock Holmes adventures...)
- Dracula: Origin (2008) (we have many of the Sherlock Holmes from frogwares, I don't think they would mind releasing this one here too)
- Star Trek The Next Generation: A Final Unity (1995) (Obviously)
- Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick (1997)
- Dust: A Tale Of The Wired West (1995) (and the rest of the cyberflix adventures)
- Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy (1998)
- Dark Seed (1992) (and 2)
- The X-Files Game (1998) (I'd actually want more fmv adventures in GOG)
- Morpheus (1998) (if I remember it right, on of the better myst-like)
- Dreamweb (1994) (it should probably be free here)
- Touche: The Adventures Of The Fifth Musketeer (1995)
- Kingdom O' Magic (1996)
- Blade Runner (1997)
- Queen: The Eye (1998)
- Rent-a-Hero (1999)
- Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom Of Phungoria (2001)
- Daemonica (2006)
- The Immortals Of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure (2008)
- Valiant Hearts: The Great War (2014) (everyone always forget this game, and along with the Southpark ones is the one I want the most from Ubisoft)
- Azrael's Tears (1996)
Barrow Hill: Curse Of The Ancient Circle (2006)

There are also some forgotten hybrid adventure games...
- Ecstatica (1994) (and 2, although I think this are from Sega now)
- Dark Earth (1997)
- Rome Ad 92 / Rome: Pathway To Power (1992)

And many, many more...
rgnrk: Games based on narrative and contextual puzzles linked to the story -in the best case scenario- have always been one if not the most subjective genre to review. We all know how different everyone's opinions were about tv shows and movies in those threads, with the ussual trend of everything I don't like it's the worst thing ever. The fact that people's opinions is so diverse on everygame, with lovers and haters alike.

And puzzles also do that, as indistinctively makes you feel like the smartest or dumbest person around. And we all have are own different thought processes, that align better with different adventures. So one man's difficult is another man's easy. And the funny part is that it can switch from one to another on different games... and even puzzles.

Basically, even if YOU think and adventure is bad... it's not. All adventures are great and should be here :P

All in all, several adventures we don't have in GOG that I'd like to highlight:
- The Neverhood (1996)
- Return Of The Phantom (1993) (we already have rex nebular & dragonsphere)
- Heart Of China (1991) (as a representative of the missing dynamix adventures)
- Ripley's Believe It Or Not!: The Riddle Of Master Lu (1995) (as the best known lee sheldon game, and representative of the sanctuary woods / southpeak games)
- Innocent Until Caught (1993) (where is Sega and the psygnosis p&c?)
- Black Dahlia (1998) (there's no excuse for the absense of the gametek / take two adventure games)
- The Bizarre Adventures Of Woodruff and The Schnibble of Azimuth (1995)
- Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All The Girls (1990) (as the first legend entertainment adventure game I know of, but they're all historically relevant)
- Nibiru (2005) (from the developers of the first Black Mirror game)
- A Vampyre Story (2008) (this was drm-free in other stores)
- Lost Horizon (2010) (... and the Secret Files games)
- Ankh (2005) (and the rest of Deck13 adventure's; we only have Jack Keane here)
- Lost Chronicles Of Zerzura (2012) (from the developers of Black Mirror 2 & 3)
- Yesterday (2012) (...and The Next Big Thing)
- Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure (1995) (we are still many games away from the full Cryo collection)
- Faust: Seven Games Of The Soul (1999)
- Time Gate: Knight's Chase (1995) (one of the Infogrames adventures)
- Blue Force (1993) (the Tsunami adventures)
- DiscWorld Noir (1999) (it's probably the best of the discworlds, but we want the three here)
- The Lost Files Of Sherlock Holmes: The Case Of The Serrated Scalpel (1992) (The original Sherlock Holmes adventures...)
- Dracula: Origin (2008) (we have many of the Sherlock Holmes from frogwares, I don't think they would mind releasing this one here too)
- Star Trek The Next Generation: A Final Unity (1995) (Obviously)
- Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick (1997)
- Dust: A Tale Of The Wired West (1995) (and the rest of the cyberflix adventures)
- Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy (1998)
- Dark Seed (1992) (and 2)
- The X-Files Game (1998) (I'd actually want more fmv adventures in GOG)
- Morpheus (1998) (if I remember it right, on of the better myst-like)
- Dreamweb (1994) (it should probably be free here)
- Touche: The Adventures Of The Fifth Musketeer (1995)
- Kingdom O' Magic (1996)
- Blade Runner (1997)
- Queen: The Eye (1998)
- Rent-a-Hero (1999)
- Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom Of Phungoria (2001)
- Daemonica (2006)
- The Immortals Of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure (2008)
- Valiant Hearts: The Great War (2014) (everyone always forget this game, and along with the Southpark ones is the one I want the most from Ubisoft)
- Azrael's Tears (1996)
Barrow Hill: Curse Of The Ancient Circle (2006)

There are also some forgotten hybrid adventure games...
- Ecstatica (1994) (and 2, although I think this are from Sega now)
- Dark Earth (1997)
- Rome Ad 92 / Rome: Pathway To Power (1992)

And many, many more...
i know some of these games, i have a few on steam: secret files is on steam seems the devs/publisher dont want to bring them here DRM free... or maybe these games are not 'good' enough for GoG to add.

I would buy the entire pack (6 games) at once for 49.99 euros ....
Zerzura, also good game i have on steam...

i think chances are close to zero to arrive here.... seems that the number of wishes on the community list dont count if the games arent able to come here, so its the availabilty i guess that has the heavy weight in it which decides what games will come, its funny to see all these brand new games here coming to GoG... and all the better good old games are sadly missing ....

Anyway i still hope they arrive here someday, if possible in this life cause i dont think internet or computers are available in heaven :D ......
Post edited May 23, 2017 by gamesfreak64
Some of the games i like seemed to made 'the cut' .

I agree with these games (have all games here at GoG)
bold ones also on original cd but won't run ofcourse (thank you mickeysoft)

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)
Sam and Max Hit the Road (1993)
Quest For Glory Anthology (1989-1994)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992)
The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate (1992)
King’s Quest VI (1992)
Leisure Suit Larry (not the 3d game(s)
Broken Sword (1996)
Toon Struck (1996)
Beneath a Steel Sky (1994)
Syberia
The Last Express (1997)
The Blackwell Legacy
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Machinarium

also good games

Resonance
Night of the Rabbit
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Syberia
Simon the Sorcerer
Thimbleweed Park

he also mentions this game: Drawn: The Painted Tower

which is a casual game i have, i will also skip all FPP / FPS and 3d games.

There are many old games still out there that haven't been 'discovered' yet by GOG or steam

Too many games (old games ofcourse) haven't made or did not make/made (whatever it is)
and that's kinda sad, cause almost ALL new releases seem to make the cut here.......
Almost every new release i read a review in pc magazines (paper versions not online) have arrived or will arrive on GoG.
So now the flow of new games is stable how about tons of more old games ? (not only 3d of fpp please)
Post edited May 23, 2017 by gamesfreak64
Green_Shade: I'm not a random poster! I responded to that comment too. That was actually most of his comment, you're just missing the quoted part of my first comment (#25).
Oh sweet, so now the puzzle is almost complete!

Btw,I know you were part of the conversation I was trying to quote, but that doesn't change the fact that I put words in your mouth and out of HunchBluntley's :/
Can I just say how annoying it is to read a sentence like this under the entry for Myst?

"It’s the originator of the exploration style of game still popular today and most recently emulated by games like The Witness."

No, it was not most recently emulated by The Witness. It was most recently emulated by an actually good game called Obduction, which matches the style perfectly because it was made by the same developers. The Witness has nothing in common with Myst except they're both puzzle games of some description and you play them in first person. Saying The Witness is like Myst is something only said by people who have absolutely zero understanding of what the Myst games were like.

Myst games built their puzzles around the world. Every object you could interact with had a narrative purpose for being there, or was a device that people at one time used for their work. The Witness is just a bunch of arbitrary line connecting puzzles from start to finish, that serve no purpose outside of being puzzles for the player to solve.

Not to mention that Myst actually has music which helps a lot with keeping a strong atmosphere in such lonely games, as well as a story which helps for keeping the player invested and giving them a clear goal.

I've seen this comparison constantly ever since The Witness came out, and it irks me to no end.

EDIT: So this was the part I was trying to reply to and ended up deleting the whole post:

HunchBluntley wrote:
"It's pretty clearly a GOG-sponsored article (all 29 of the primary recommendations, and all but 7 of the secondary ones, are available here in some form). I can just about guarantee they had some influence, as well."

EDIT2: So HunchBluntley's post #28 has sort of been restored. Sadly, it only contains the part I remembered (and tried to quote). So, HunchBluntely, if you can recall the rest of the contents, please feel free to edit post #28 and add them in there. Again, apologies for this mess :/
I think the only thing missing from my "restored" post was the quote of the relevant portion of Green_Shade's post that I was replying to. I'm not sure how you managed to delete my post while trying to reply to it, though.
Anyway, the post is now back the way it was, pre-edit, as far as I can remember.
HunchBluntley: I think the only thing missing from my "restored" post was the quote of the relevant portion of Green_Shade's post that I was replying to. I'm not sure how you managed to delete my post while trying to reply to it, though.
Blues have a mod button next to the reply button.
HunchBluntley: I think the only thing missing from my "restored" post was the quote of the relevant portion of Green_Shade's post that I was replying to. I'm not sure how you managed to delete my post while trying to reply to it, though.
Starmaker: Blues have a mod button next to the reply button.
^This.
Gone Home in a list of "Essential, Must-play Adventures" ?! One of the most disappointing 3 hours of playtime you'll never get back.