It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Did your favorites make the cut?

There was a time when everybody was looking at adventure games to introduce crazy technical innovations, explore unconventional stories, or just give us a strong argument against our dismissive parents who considered all games juvenile and insubstantial. Since the golden years of the graphic adventures, we've seen certain trends come and go, foreign genes spliced into the genre's DNA, and adventure games evolving into a variety of experiences that sometimes have little in common with their early predecessors.

Richard Cobbett, a longtime fan of adventure games and their close offspring, has recently compiled <span class="bold">a comprehensive list of 29+ titles</span> that all fans of the genre should check out. Newcomers and veterans are treated to an introduction to the history of adventure games, some advice on how to get started, and a list of the standouts, broken down into sub-categories for convenience: The Classics, Story-driven, Puzzles & Exploration.

Take your pick: there are all-around legends like The Secret of Monkey Island or Beneath a Steel Sky, masterpieces of storytelling like Grim Fandango or The Walking Dead, brain wreckers like Myst or Zork: Grand Inquisitor, and deliberately paced experiences like Gone Home.

Plenty of developers continue to be fascinated by the narrative possibilities of adventure games, even if they don't feel like adhering to their original formula. These 29 games (and the additional honorable mentions) are both celebrated classics and the product of experimentation with innovative ideas and are all more than worth your time.

So, how many of these have you already played and what others would you add to <span class="bold">IGN's list</span>, fellow adventurers?
Post edited May 22, 2017 by maladr0Id
Lots of stuff this monday. You're spoiling us, GOG.

I should play The Dig again sometime. I recall loving it during my early teens.
Post edited May 22, 2017 by Siegor
Is there an adventure game titled Consortium that I've never heard of?
high rated
When making a "list" article, I'd really like if the author adds a tldr version of just the list.

EDIT: Well, instead of complaining, here it is.

TLDR list:

(and Hunch Bluntley provides an even better list - extended and categorized - here)

_ The Secret of Monkey Island
_ Sam and Max Hit the Road
_ Quest For Glory Anthology
_ Leisure Suit Larry: Love For Sail
_ Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
_ The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate
_ King’s Quest VI
_ Broken Sword
_ Toonstruck
_ Beneath a Steel Sky
_ Telltale's The Walking Dead
_ The Last Express
_ Grim Fandango
_ The Pandora Directive
_ The Longest Journey & Dreamfall
_ The Blackwell Legacy
_ Kentucky Route Zero
_ Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
_ 80 Days
_ Myst
_ Zork: Grand Inquisitor
_ Gone Home
_ The Journeyman Project: Legacy of Time
_ The 7th Guest
_ The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
_ Machinarium
_ Miasmata
_ The Dig
_ Ether One
Post edited May 23, 2017 by ZFR
Great, just linking to other people's articles again.
I guess I'm mostly story driven because Monkey Island, Sam & Max and DOTT did little for me. It's not really an era thing because I loved Gabriel Knight and Broken Sword.
Good article!
Hm, the grouping of the games seems rather arbitrary in some cases. If you apply these categories, Thimbleweed Park is definitely more of a "classic" adventure than "story-driven". Syberia is more of a story-driven adventure than Thimbleweed Park. Heck, most classics have better story-telling. And I don't think Dropsy is more of a story-driven adventure than Sam & Max either. (I liked Thimbleweed Park, btw, it's a nice game, but if you expect a story-driven adventure you're going to be disappointed.)

And "Essential" is stretching it a bit too far in many cases. :P
Post edited May 22, 2017 by Leroux
I would have added the Dream Machine, that is sadly not on GOG. I would buy it again here. And the great Blade Runner.
29?

Why not 30? Why not 28? :P
Smannesman: Great, just linking to other people's articles again.
Quick, someone copy/paste the whole article here! :P
nice list
I barely have time to play stuff I actually like, and now you're telling me I have to play 29 games from a genre that never struck a chord with me? Shit - it's like a reading assignment over summer vacation.
I personally disagree with Life is Strange, I would put it way higher up.

But hey, this only an opinion just like this guy's.
Dogmaus: I would have added the Dream Machine, that is sadly not on GOG. I would buy it again here. And the great Blade Runner.
Blade Runner was terrific! And Discworld Noir too, please (I still read the blog of one of the designers).
Post edited May 22, 2017 by robespeare