It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It's Throwback Thursday time! This week, we continue our focus on games that received exclusive free goodies, including concept arts, badass screenshots, and renders, all thanks to the The Video Game History Foundation. No time to waste, as we're talking about quite the infamous title: Daikatana!

"John Romero’s about to make you his b-" the game’s… unique advertising strategy, is one of the many reasons Daikatana is remembered to this day. The game is a classic FPS with interesting elements and a unique setting, as it takes place across four different time periods: 2455 Japan, ancient Greece, Norway during the Dark Ages, and San Francisco in 2030. It features approximately two dozen weapons to use, each with its own unique identity, themed to the time period you are playing in, and was a pioneer in featuring friendly NPCs meant to help you in your missions. Meant is a keyword here, as the game was met with mixed results for its numerous AI problems, amongst others. But it's a fun, rather crazy ride, in pure Romero fashion, and still very enjoyable.

Recommended by Kilg0re_Tr0ut, Stream Team

Daikatana is an underrated game, in my opinion, that has an undeserved reputation for being a "bad" game. Though it certainly has its janky issues, and there were many issues on release, there is a lot of fun to be had here. IMO, once you get past the drab, grindy opening episode (which is the one most people played in the shareware demo), the game really opens up in terms of graphics and level design. The John Romero approved community patch makes it much more playable on modern PCs, and I think even if it's not a bona fide masterpiece when all is said and done, it's an ambitious and fun experience.

To discover the game with us, check out stream, Friday 9pm CST, on the GOG Twitch channel. The Throwback Thursday series is done in cooperation with The Video Games History Foundation – a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving, celebrating, and teaching the history of video games. If you want to support them, we encourage you to check their [url=https://gamehistory.org/donate/]donation page. And if you'd like to see all the games in this ongoing series, go to its dedicated page.
low rated
Looks like someone doesn't like us talking about Daikatana LOL seeing all the recent posts low rated.

GamezRanker: [...]
And the end boss is lackluster...still, a fun ride for the most part.
[...]
*spoiler*
It might have been lackluster but the fact it expanded into a double boss fight saved the end sequence for me - it's not easy to survive the first time round!

Since we're here listing the game's episodes by order of preference I'll give my view:
- Best episodes are 2 and 3, I think it's a pretty objective fact at this point
- specifically, Episode 2 (ancient Greece in 1200 BC) is the best (overall somewhere between very good and excellent I'd say), Episode 3 (the Dark Ages in Norway in 560 AD) comes second (mainly just because you can feel the developers were running out of time towards the end), and my opinion differs from some here when it comes to the remaining two episodes, as I'd say Episode 4 (near-future San Francisco in 2030 AD) comes in third position (the best moment here is Mission 2: Beneath the Rock) and Episode 1 (25th century Japan in 2455 AD) comes last (still good overall with patch 1.3).
low rated
UCrest: Even a standalone expansion that completes the main plot with more content would be a great idea.
Tbh I thought the ending was wrapped up well enough.....that said, I wouldn't mind an expansion or remake(if done right/well).

UCrest: The problem is how to approach the story and improve the concept without it feeling like more of the same.

:)
Eh, sometimes more of the same(genre/series/etc) can be fawesome(fun and awesome) :)

=-=-=-=-=

Sat42: Looks like someone doesn't like us talking about Daikatana LOL seeing all the recent posts low rated.
It's not that......any time people chat with certain users(like myself) in a positive manner(as you and UCrest are doing), the usual suspects come out and put silly red marks on every post......best thing is to pay it no mind :)

Sat42: It might have been lackluster but the fact it expanded into a double boss fight saved the end sequence for me - it's not easy to survive the first time round!
That's part of what I mean.....small arena boss fights with high difficulty can get kinda old kinda fast for some of us(plus the arena/area didn't look too amazing, imo).
Post edited February 11, 2022 by GamezRanker
low rated
Sat42: Looks like someone doesn't like us talking about Daikatana LOL seeing all the recent posts low rated.
GamezRanker: It's not that......any time people chat with certain users(like myself) in a positive manner(as you and UCrest are doing), the usual suspects come out and put silly red marks on every post......best thing is to pay it no mind :)
Ah I see - gotcha! I guess everyone needs a hobby...

Sat42: It might have been lackluster but the fact it expanded into a double boss fight saved the end sequence for me - it's not easy to survive the first time round!
GamezRanker: That's part of what I mean.....small arena boss fights with high difficulty can get kinda old kinda fast for some of us(plus the arena/area didn't look too amazing, imo).
Fair enough!
low rated
Sat42: Ah I see - gotcha! I guess everyone needs a hobby...
True enough......plus I guess it allows them to feel useful and have something to do ;D

Sat42: Fair enough!
Speaking of arenas......Elite Force 1 is similar in it's endgame, but I liked it better because of the buildup(the main baddie talking as you get closer to the end arena/etc) and how it plays out.

(Elite Force 2's ending is similarly made.......smallish arena and baddie stuck mostly in place.....but it didn't feel quite as good or the same to me)
low rated
twillight: Was Diablo 2 popular? Yes it was. Was it good? NO! And for the record with the breaking of the promise of patchiing it further, and the release of the remaster, there is ZERO chance for it to be released here in the forseeable future (lucky us, don't have to suffer the shame that game is).
There are games that are successful we can dislike for various reasons but from what I understand Diablo 2 is seen as the best in the series. Just because a game has bugs doesn't mean it's bad. I can point out reasons for a game like Ninja Gaiden on the NES being bad but your list seems more directed at games that are actual classics yet suffer from a lack of polish.

GamezRanker: Speaking of arenas......Elite Force 1 is similar in it's endgame, but I liked it better because of the buildup(the main baddie talking as you get closer to the end arena/etc) and how it plays out.

(Elite Force 2's ending is similarly made.......smallish arena and baddie stuck mostly in place.....but it didn't feel quite as good or the same to me)
Elite Force 1 has the Voyager licence behind it. It's easier to immerse yourself in than the Enterprise E that's why I feel Elite Force 1 is better.
Post edited February 13, 2022 by pferreira1983
low rated
pferreira1983: Elite Force 1 has the Voyager licence behind it. It's easier to immerse yourself in than the Enterprise E that's why I feel Elite Force 1 is better.
I liked aspects of both, and feel some aspects of EF2 are better than EF1 & vice versa......both hold special places in my memories. That said, EF1 is a pretty good game.
For anyone who cares: Trenchbroom supports Daikatana!
Not exactly news but some modders are making new maps for Daikatana using Trenchbroom and while multiplayer is the focus I hope to see a new single player adventure come out of this.
I should probably post this somewhere else... but wanted to wrap up this thread with a non-low rated post as the above fell victim to abusive use of the rating feature.
I was trying to work out why this thread got low rated. Then I saw twillight's posts.

I'd quite like to see Daikatana get an RTX patch when nVidia release that modding tool though. Path tracing might make the first level bearable!
nightcraw1er.488: Is the community patch (Romero approved) included in the GOG version? Do t think I ever got past the first few missions.
If you need it, go here.
The sotry of the making of Daikatan is lot more entertaining then the game itself.
The knock on the game is...and I think it is justified.....it had some great ideas, but the execution was terrible.
dudalb: The story of the making of Daikatana is lot more entertaining then the game itself.
The knock on the game is...and I think it is justified.....it had some great ideas, but the execution was terrible.
Cannot agree on the "terrible" qualifier, sorry.

The making of Daikatana is fascinating yes.

But the legacy of the backlash due to marketing overhype and subsequent disappointment has led to many misremembering the facts: the game (PC version) was released to middling rather than negative overall reception. Sure, "it's OK we guess" doesn't cut it when people expect the second coming of DOOM, but the reputation along the lines of "it's terrible" is more the product of later internet memes (some famous ones are also based on the inferior N64 version).
With patches the game is genuinely good, just not very good like Unreal nor excellent like Half-Life (both from 1998 - part of the legacy problem is Daikatana was dated at release, something irrelevant nowadays outside of historical analysis).

I went in with an open mind and sincerely enjoyed myself. Of course, at risk of sounding trite: the worst part of the game is the very beginning, still true today.