It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans & Warcraft 2 Battle.net Edition are now available DRM-free.

In anticipation of the upcoming 25th anniversary of Warcraft, we brought you the real-time strategy classics that started it all, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition, including both the original Tides of Darkness and the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion. Starting today, you can once again explore these universe-defining games as they become available digitally and DRM-free for the first time ever!

The first part of the legendary series plays and feels just like the original from 1994, it’s just updated to run flawlessly on modern operating systems. Warcraft II Battle.net Edition, similarly to the release of first Diablo on GOG.COM, comes in two versions, which you can choose from the launcher. The classic one allows for the authentic experience and a fully functional multiplayer with Blizzard’s Battle.net online gaming service. The updated version comes with a number of fixes to provide full compatibility with modern machines as well as hi-resolution support and upscaling.
StarChan: When in an exchange, you reply.
True, but its usually as hedwards says its not worth it. If someone is not going to see your point of view, if you know its going to lead to a long arguement then its usually best just to say nothing and ignore them on that topic.

(We all tend to break the above alot, so i'm in no way preeching as i've broken that alot.)

Even just saying what you did can trigger certain people, so its usually better to just say nothing. Otherwise you run the risk of it getting very heated and mods having to step in.
hedwards: Yes. And I still don't get why I'm so popular. I literally do most of the things that people aren't supposed to do if they want company.

Also, this is the Internet, most of the time people don't even notice if there's no follow up. Maybe if this were a chatroom, but otherwise it doesn't seem particularly worth the effort.
StarChan: Check my reply again. I felt it came across as somewhat acidic, so I edited it towards addressing your concern. Still has some corrosive effect, I fear. Anyway, thanks for your answer.
Honestly, I'm not sure how much less I could care about this. I just think it's odd to bother responding at all if you're not going to fill in the requested information.

I rarely see anybody responding just to say they're not going to continue. Every once in a great while I'll do that to underline the fact that I'm taking the moral high ground by not responding rather than that I didn't get around to seeing it in a timely manner.
StarChan: When in an exchange, you reply.
Pond86: True, but its usually as hedwards says its not worth it. If someone is not going to see your point of view, if you know its going to lead to a long arguement then its usually best just to say nothing and ignore them on that topic.

(We all tend to break the above alot, so i'm in no way preeching as i've broken that alot.)

Even just saying what you did can trigger certain people, so its usually better to just say nothing. Otherwise you run the risk of it getting very heated and mods having to step in.
That's more or less my point. I know of at least one forum on the net where disappearing is frowned upon by the board culture to do so.

But, typically, that's not how the net works, you've got no way of knowing about a deliberate lack of response versus somebody being busy or being unable to respond.

Anyways, I'm out of there, this is already more of a derailment than I was planning on engaging in.

(This is the typical correct way to opt out if you need to. That way it doesn't look strange or waste other people's time writing something that I'm not going to respond to)
Post edited April 09, 2019 by hedwards
hedwards: That's more or less my point. I know of at least one forum on the net where disappearing is frowned upon by the board culture to do so.

But, typically, that's not how the net works, you've got no way of knowing about a deliberate lack of response versus somebody being busy or being unable to respond.

Anyways, I'm out of there, this is already more of a derailment than I was planning on engaging in.

(This is the typical correct way to opt out if you need to. That way it doesn't look strange or waste other people's time writing something that I'm not going to respond to)
Then that board should allow that.

You don't. But you shouldnt let that bother you. I do that to people and people certinaly do it to me. It just saves alot of time and is usually the best way to deal with us (because we all have been guilty of arguing, especially here.) I just don't worry about it if people don't respond on hre when it gets heated. Though for nice topics its usually nice.

And i'm not saying outright ignore that person as i've argued with someone in one topic here and replied to the same person in another (a few hours after) and had a nice discussion with them.

Fair enough, feel free not to reply.

Edit:

Though editing it in when someone is replying does't help prove your point. :P
Post edited April 09, 2019 by Pond86
StarChan: Check my reply again. I felt it came across as somewhat acidic, so I edited it towards addressing your concern. Still has some corrosive effect, I fear. Anyway, thanks for your answer.
hedwards: Honestly, I'm not sure how much less I could care about this.
You've replied to no less than four posts in this exchange, so right you are to wonder. Were you at all surprised that your urge to correct somebody elses behaviour would meet with such a lack of enthusiasm?

The question may be consideed rhetorical, if you wish.
MartiusR: By some reason I''ve got an impression that I had better experience with retail version of the game (more challenging in skirmish mode, more active in campaigns). Isn't this one somehow... broken?
morolf: I've wondered about that as well, in many levels with multiple enemies there's only one enemy really building units and attacking you. On the whole rather passive behaviour.
On the other hand, I played much of the WC2 original campaigns 20 years ago, and as far as I remember it was pretty much the same back then.
So I don't really think it's broken...though one could easily get that impression.
Fortunately, I've recently played in a couple of missions in orc campaign and some custom mape (one amongst those brought by default) and AI is dealing there much, much better. Seems that AI is getting "stuck" easily on some maps made in maps editor, but on those brought by default it's playing quite aggresively.

Changing subject a bit - I admit that it always sadden me a bit when I see that literally always Diablo series is having the most attention and "affection" amongst three "old" franchises of Blizzard. Just comparing amount of posts in thread about Warcraft release and Diablo release. And it's not only because Diablo was the first one, I remember back then around release of D3 and SC2, that the first title had much, much more "hype".

I know that there are plenty of Diablo fans here, but for me personally, it was always the least interesting "branch', comparing to Warcraft and Starcraft. The endless "slashing and looting" festival, without some interesting (even if not original) plot & narration, like in Warcraft/Starcraft. It's just my personal taste (aside from first Diablo, I've never finished 2'nd, since it bored me, and never started to play in D3), but still, I feel like something so trivial like Diablo series is "beating" much more interesting Starcraft and Warcraft series*

*not counting WoW or anything like that.
high rated
Diablo is #50 on the all time bestselling list!

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=2

The Warcraft I+II Bundle is #200 on the all time bestselling list!

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=5

Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition is #1,093 on the all time bestselling list!

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=23

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans is #2,027 on the all time bestselling list!

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=43
Post edited April 10, 2019 by Barry_Woodward
MartiusR:
I agree with you...played a bit of Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 (because an acquaintance talked me into it), and I found it mindnumbingly boring.
Starcraft 1 and especially Brood war is my favorite among Blizzard's games...didn't like how they developed the story in Starcraft 2 though (feel similarly about Warcraft 3, didn't like how the orcs were retconned into basically good guys).
MartiusR: Changing subject a bit - I admit that it always sadden me a bit when I see that literally always Diablo series is having the most attention and "affection" amongst three "old" franchises of Blizzard. Just comparing amount of posts in thread about Warcraft release and Diablo release. And it's not only because Diablo was the first one, I remember back then around release of D3 and SC2, that the first title had much, much more "hype".

I know that there are plenty of Diablo fans here, but for me personally, it was always the least interesting "branch', comparing to Warcraft and Starcraft. The endless "slashing and looting" festival, without some interesting (even if not original) plot & narration, like in Warcraft/Starcraft. It's just my personal taste (aside from first Diablo, I've never finished 2'nd, since it bored me, and never started to play in D3), but still, I feel like something so trivial like Diablo series is "beating" much more interesting Starcraft and Warcraft series*

*not counting WoW or anything like that.
Diablo probably has more attention indeed, but I think there have been some coincidences inflating that notion. For example, the Diablo launch thread on Gog has a lot more comments but if you think about it, hell was officially freezing over and pigs were filling the skies. Anyone who wanted any Blizzard game wanted to comment, not just the Diablo fans, for example I did (and I didn''t buy D1) because it meant my wish for Warcraft wasn't impossible after all.
When WC released, while it too was a pair of highly desired games it didn't have the added WHAM of making Blizzard's partnership with Gog official.

Similarly, when D3 launched Blizz was riding the top of their popularity. Hype was a given no matter what. But by the time SC2 launched many fans had been burned by D3's fiasco. People were already wary of Blizz's poor choices that went into D3, specifically the DRM and auction house, and together with the worrisome increase of focus on the WoW cash cow it all killed or at least softened SC2's hype. When news that there would be no LAN multiplayer came out lots of fans lost interest right away long before launch.
Post edited April 10, 2019 by joppo
MartiusR:
morolf: I agree with you...played a bit of Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 (because an acquaintance talked me into it), and I found it mindnumbingly boring.
Starcraft 1 and especially Brood war is my favorite among Blizzard's games...didn't like how they developed the story in Starcraft 2 though (feel similarly about Warcraft 3, didn't like how the orcs were retconned into basically good guys).
Diablo 3 was renamed to Torchlight 2 and for reasons nobody understands, we got a different game named Diablo 3.

Not much of a joke there, Torchlight was given to us from a studio that has a ton of the knowledge about what made the original 2 games so fun. And even the sound track is reminiscent of the previous games.

Diablo 3 should have had a single player mode and I didn't bother tracking what happened with the real money auction house or some of those other shenanigans because it became incredibly obvious that the developers didn't understand what made the previous gamse so fun.

Doing sequels is a challenge as you ahve to maintain enough of the feel and magic of the previous games, and also include new elements that bring the series forward. Not easy and nearly impossible if you've more or less lost the entire team to retirement or other companies.
hedwards: Diablo 3 was renamed to Torchlight 2 and for reasons nobody understands, we got a different game named Diablo 3.
Hahaha, well said! :-P
Holy crap! Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Welcome on GOG Marni42! :-P
Finally in opportunity to play these games.

Thank You GOG!
high rated
Edit: As of the 23rd of April 2019.

Diablo is #46 on the all time bestselling list!

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=1

The Warcraft I+II Bundle is #168 on the all time bestselling list!

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=4

Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition is #978 on the all time bestselling list!

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=21

Warcraft: Orcs & Humans is #1,948 on the all time bestselling list!

https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&page=41
Post edited April 23, 2019 by Barry_Woodward
Any idea if/when Warcraft II will be available for Mac?