It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It there any particular reason why we are this severely limited when uploading images? 500 kB per file is already woefully insufficient and it will only keep getting worse with time. There is a 2 MB total limit already, why do we get an additional limitation on top of that? Why can't we upload a single 2 MB image for example?

It makes uploading images from a phone pretty much impossible. Even from PC, as someone who is using a 1440p display, I usually have to repeatedly compress any images before forcing the size low enough to be able to upload them to the forum.

Could this weird 500 kB limitation be removed? Does a single good reason exist for it to be there when we already have a global 2 MB limit?
high rated
Welcome to the forums! The floorboards creak, but don't let that scare you off. Just don't forget to properly load/balance your washing machine, otherwise you might find it on the ground floor.

Oh and there's a weight limit to anything you can bring upstairs. No reason in particular, I hope you understand. It's not like we're structurally unsound or anything, no siree!
Because of this I can downscale and compress images with gimp blindfolded by now...
WinterSnowfall: Welcome to the forums! The floorboards creak, but don't let that scare you off. Just don't forget to properly load/balance your washing machine, otherwise you might find it on the ground floor.

Oh and there's a weight limit to anything you can bring upstairs. No reason in particular, I hope you understand. It's not like we're structurally unsound or anything, no siree!
I mean historically. When somebody was writing this forum code back in 2008, what was the idea behind having 2 limitations? Why was the global 2 MB limit not sufficient?

I know that currently, the forums are a duct-taped together abomination, but this is not a new feature request. It would just require changing one number and would make the forums slightly more usable in this day and age when phone images have several MB in size....
Matewis: Because of this I can downscale and compress images with gimp blindfolded by now...
Yeah, me too. But the problem is, downscaling is often no longer enough. No matter how hard I crop and compress etc., I can't get a single photo out of my phone within the limit to upload to the forums. As for my PC screenshots, a couple of crops and a couple of runs through tinyjpg.com usually do the trick but damn is that annoying. 2 MB would be workable but 500 kB in 2021? Come on...
Post edited May 28, 2021 by idbeholdME
idbeholdME: Yeah, me too. But the problem is, downscaling is often no longer enough. No matter how hard I crop and compress etc., I can't get a single photo out of my phone within the limit to upload to the forums. As for my PC screenshots, a couple of crops and a couple of runs through tinyjpg.com usually do the trick but damn is that annoying. 2 MB would be workable but 500 kB in 2021? Come on...
How far do you try to downscale? I can't say I've ever had a problem taking it down to a 1366x768 JPG. Sometimes however a picture is extremely granulated, like screenshots from transport tycoon, so that only using the quality slider results in a real crappy <500KB image. But in those cases smoothing first works wonders. I haven't used tinyjpg myself - so far gimp always gets the job done for me.
Matewis: How far do you try to downscale? I can't say I've ever had a problem taking it down to a 1366x768 JPG. Sometimes however a picture is extremely granulated, like screenshots from transport tycoon, so that only using the quality slider results in a real crappy <500KB image. But in those cases smoothing first works wonders. I haven't used tinyjpg myself - so far gimp always gets the job done for me.
Downscaling usually brings the quality so low I don't bother uploading it. I now just stick with crops and compression and hope for the best, but pretty often, it's not enough. All depends on how much I can crop.
Post edited May 28, 2021 by idbeholdME
idbeholdME: I know that currently, the forums are a duct-taped together abomination, but this is not a new feature request. It would just require changing one number and would make the forums slightly more usable in this day and age when phone images have several MB in size....
They will most likely not change anything, since the last thing they want to worry about is becoming a storage service. Why not upload your high-rez images to a cloud storage service and link them on the forums?

P.S.: If anything, the occasionally corrupt screenshots on game store pages should not inspire confidence in GOG's ability to properly store things :).
Post edited May 28, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: They will most likely not change anything, since the last thing they want to worry about is becoming a storage service.
That is what I don't get. I assumed that was what the 2 MB limit was for. The 500 kB seems completely pointless to me.
WinterSnowfall: Why not upload your high-rez images to a cloud storage service and link them on the forums?
That is an option of course but I find that pretty annoying.
The big problem with external image services is this scenario:

I'm searching for a solution to an obscure problem. Finally find it in a years-old forum post somewhere. The poster writes "I did it!!!! See how in this screenshot:", which is a link to Photobucket image or whatever, but there's just a blank space with the words "image unavailable".

Anyway, the answer to the original question is the same as all questions about "is there a reason why the GOG forum..." Namely, "no, there is no particular reason." And unless it's something they can already do given the existing code (e.g. putting "forum game" in front of relevant topic titles), then the answer to "can it be changed" is "no."
idbeholdME: It there any particular reason why we are this severely limited when uploading images? 500 kB per file is already woefully insufficient and it will only keep getting worse with time. There is a 2 MB total limit already, why do we get an additional limitation on top of that? Why can't we upload a single 2 MB image for example?

It makes uploading images from a phone pretty much impossible. Even from PC, as someone who is using a 1440p display, I usually have to repeatedly compress any images before forcing the size low enough to be able to upload them to the forum.

Could this weird 500 kB limitation be removed? Does a single good reason exist for it to be there when we already have a global 2 MB limit?
This is the forum where you can’t upload .PNG only .png? Good luck with that!
WinterSnowfall: Welcome to the forums! The floorboards creak, but don't let that scare you off. Just don't forget to properly load/balance your washing machine, otherwise you might find it on the ground floor.

And wear a hard hat at all time, steel capped work boots recommended.
If it must be over a certain size, i'll just use my own http server. Although it sets you up for DDoS, i usually not see people doing that for longer than a couple days at a time.
Matewis: How far do you try to downscale? I can't say I've ever had a problem taking it down to a 1366x768 JPG. Sometimes however a picture is extremely granulated, like screenshots from transport tycoon, so that only using the quality slider results in a real crappy <500KB image. But in those cases smoothing first works wonders. I haven't used tinyjpg myself - so far gimp always gets the job done for me.
idbeholdME: Downscaling usually brings the quality so low I don't bother uploading it. I now just stick with crops and compression and hope for the best, but pretty often, it's not enough. All depends on how much I can crop.
I remember you from "Take and post a screenshot...." topic.

Especially when you said "Where are we, stone age?"
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/take_and_post_a_screenshot_of_what_youre_playing_right_now/post3452

Not sure why gog can't add some option that when user upload one image he could upload it up to 2 mb size, but no, having current limit is so cool.

Those 2 mb would be enough for those who upload 4k images, it would be managable to bring it to that size. But having current limit it is really hard, you just need to resize the 4k image, but that is not the way it is suppose to work.

Anyway, for me faststone image viewer works perfectly fine since I am on resolution that doesn't need resizing or sth, I just add some colors to it i.e. a little change in brightness, contrast, saturation and also with it I can see the final save size.

Here is also an example that some 4k image can kinda look good if you resize it, in some way especially if you play with colors a little bit, it looks good on my side but that is maybe because image will fit to my smallish browser size. Everyone up for its taste.

https://images.hdqwalls.com/wallpapers/doom-eternal-4k-2020-75.jpg

2048x1152 - size just enough for gog limit
https://www.gog.com/upload/forum/2020/08/a01cec19f6085bf77e92ed2f36d26535b0da7a79.jpg
Post edited May 29, 2021 by DrazenCro
I would be happy with 600 kb to be honest, most pictures i take with afterburner that are very dense on the graphics side tend to fall into the 550 kb range : D (2k)

i have it on 75% quality atm and jpg of course but lowering that number seems not to be sensible in terms of visibility and such
I'd like to see the limit removed as well. The global limit of 2 MB can stay, but the limit per file should go away. Before posting any picture or screenshot I have to manually compress the file, because in almost every case it's too big (1080p). It's not a major problem (more important is the permanent purple notification dot for example), but it would be a nice improvement if the limit was removed.
Post edited May 29, 2021 by Sarafan