It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I just installed a Windows game from 2002 on my Windows 10 machine and though the game seems to work fine, the audio is choppy/glitchy with the music going silent for a split second at random intervals and little popping sounds. Just wondering what some general tips would be for tracking down a Windows setting that might fix this problem. I don't have audio problems with any other games. I've tried various different compatibility settings on the executable with no luck.

The game is "Escape Velocity: Nova," from a long-dead publisher. I have tried asking in the Reddit group for the game but so far nobody seems to know anything. I've done a bunch of Google searches looking for fixes for problems like this, but GOG's advice (turning down "Sample rate conversion quality" in the control panel) doesn't seem to apply to Windows 10, as I can't find that setting in Win 10.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Try playing with CPU affinity - https://thegeekpage.com/set-affinity-for-an-application-on-windows-10/
Thank you for that suggestion. It's a cool technique that I did not know about. I tried turning various cores and different amounts of cores on and off but it didn't have any effect. I'm still grateful for the tip though!
Potshot_Pete: I just installed a Windows game from 2002 on my Windows 10 machine and though the game seems to work fine, the audio is choppy/glitchy with the music going silent for a split second at random intervals and little popping sounds. Just wondering what some general tips would be for tracking down a Windows setting that might fix this problem. I don't have audio problems with any other games. I've tried various different compatibility settings on the executable with no luck.

The game is "Escape Velocity: Nova," from a long-dead publisher. I have tried asking in the Reddit group for the game but so far nobody seems to know anything. I've done a bunch of Google searches looking for fixes for problems like this, but GOG's advice (turning down "Sample rate conversion quality" in the control panel) doesn't seem to apply to Windows 10, as I can't find that setting in Win 10.
You could try giving dgVoodoo 2 a shot. Works like a wrapper and helps with older DirectX games. Might not fix your issue but still :). Here is the link to it: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html. Good luck. Cheers
Post edited April 18, 2020 by deja65