It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So, the company I work for switched everyone's desktops to laptops, and offered to sell us the desktops cheap.

I ended up getting this Dell Optiplex 7050, which has a great config:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 cores) - 16GB RAM - 240 SSD

Now, I want to stick a new GPU inside it. I've been told that a GeForce GTX1650 low profile will fit these Optiplex machines.

Has anyone here gotten one or a similar one and can confirm? Any other tips?
Falci: Any other tips?
if it doesnt fit im pretty sure you could get an extension cable and just have a frankenbeast of a thing!
I'd rather smack my own hand with a meat tenderizer hammer than buy anything Nvidia, but that's just a smattering of opinion. (I tend to think of Nvidia as the Apple of Graphics cards.)

I own an Optiplex 9010 MT, and have personally been perusing AMD's WX series of cards.

Which are workstation cards, I realize.

But that's exactly what we both have.

However, they're designed for that sweet single slot life and don't appear to have any external power requirements.

For what it's worth, here's a review of the product you're looking at.
Falci: Any other tips?
Sachys: if it doesnt fit im pretty sure you could get an extension cable and just have a frankenbeast of a thing!
Hahaha... a friend from work told me he would rather change the tower and the power suply and stick a better GPU in there. But I'm not sure he got one of these Optiplexes, because he already has a beast machine.
Darvond: I'd rather smack my own hand with a meat tenderizer hammer than buy anything Nvidia, but that's just a smattering of opinion. (I tend to think of Nvidia as the Apple of Graphics cards.)

I own an Optiplex 9010 MT, and have personally been perusing AMD's WX series of cards.

However, they're designed for that sweet single slot life and don't appear to have any external power requirements.

I never had a Radeon, because I'm always reading around that whoever does the Radeon drivers is terrible at it.

I think I saw some ETA Prime video some time ago that I can't seen to find again, where he recommended the 1650 and actually used it in a similar build.

My idea is replace my aging desktop with something better for the occasional RTS or city building game that isn't great to play while sitting in a sofa in front of a TV (my actual gaming laptop is under said TV and has better configuration than the Optiplex already).
Falci: Hahaha... a friend from work told me he would rather change the tower and the power suply and stick a better GPU in there. But I'm not sure he got one of these Optiplexes, because he already has a beast machine.
Not all motherboards are compatible with standard m-ATX or ATX sizes without hacking, sometimes even soldering.

Confirm wich version of the 7050 you have, there are several versions wich may restrict the GPU choice. Going from memory, the SFF can only accept single slot, low profile cards, the micro don't have a pci-e slot and the MT and full Desktop can accept pretty much any card.
Falci: I never had a Radeon, because I'm always reading around that whoever does the Radeon drivers is terrible at it.
nVidia had a fair bit of bad drivers as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/49cy4i/new_36447_driver_released_with_vulkan_support_in/
Falci: Hahaha... a friend from work told me he would rather change the tower and the power suply and stick a better GPU in there. But I'm not sure he got one of these Optiplexes, because he already has a beast machine.
Dark_art_: Not all motherboards are compatible with standard m-ATX or ATX sizes without hacking, sometimes even soldering.

Confirm wich version of the 7050 you have, there are several versions wich may restrict the GPU choice. Going from memory, the SFF can only accept single slot, low profile cards, the micro don't have a pci-e slot and the MT and full Desktop can accept pretty much any card.
Thanks for the tip! I checked Dell's support site and, though I found the configuration tab confusing, I saw an SFF down there in the bottom. From what I could see from the insides, it will only fit a single slot low profile card indeed.
Falci: I never had a Radeon, because I'm always reading around that whoever does the Radeon drivers is terrible at it.
Dark_art_: nVidia had a fair bit of bad drivers as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/49cy4i/new_36447_driver_released_with_vulkan_support_in/
Oh, now that you mentioned, I remember having problems with at least one of their drive once, some years ago.
Post edited November 14, 2020 by Falci
Is your version the SFF? You can confirm by checking the precise model number on Dell's website. It is usually easier to look on Google though...

If it's really a single slot there's not many option, either a nVidia GT 1030 or some weirdo work card, like those Darvond mentioned.

Besides the PSU, another aspect to check, is how much power can the PCI-e provide. On some models the power was limited to 35 W( or was 45?), this is usually stated on the motherboard's manual.

Keep in mind the GTX 1650 (and the GTX1050) will draw ~75W on full load, if your computer has a small 180W PSU it might get you on trouble, might work but not stabe and/or in the long run...
Darvond: I'd rather smack my own hand with a meat tenderizer hammer than buy anything Nvidia, but that's just a smattering of opinion. (I tend to think of Nvidia as the Apple of Graphics cards.)

Reading around...what exactly? And when? Cause Radeon's been taking names and kicking ass for quite a while.
Darvond: Reading around...what exactly? And when? Cause Radeon's been taking names and kicking ass for quite a while.
Well, you got me there. I never kept the evidence nor have I got in contact with any recently, as far as I can tell.
Dark_art_: Is your version the SFF? You can confirm by checking the precise model number on Dell's website. It is usually easier to look on Google though...

If it's really a single slot there's not many option, either a nVidia GT 1030 or some weirdo work card, like those Darvond mentioned.

Besides the PSU, another aspect to check, is how much power can the PCI-e provide. On some models the power was limited to 35 W( or was 45?), this is usually stated on the motherboard's manual.

Keep in mind the GTX 1650 (and the GTX1050) will draw ~75W on full load, if your computer has a small 180W PSU it might get you on trouble, might work but not stabe and/or in the long run...
I haven't checked the information you suggested, but here's a picture of the insides for you to see. I had hopes a low profile 1650 would fit in there (though the fans would be point blank close to the PSU).

But I did read the label on the PSU and it says the maximum output is 180W. :(

The way this is going, I may as well change the whole tower into something bigger and add a better PSU and video card.

EDIT: I can't attach an image for the sake of god. Let me know if I can send it to you privately.
Post edited November 15, 2020 by Falci
Falci: EDIT: I can't attach an image for the sake of god. Let me know if I can send it to you privately.
No problem, I'll post it for you.
Falci: I haven't checked the information you suggested, but here's a picture of the insides for you to see. I had hopes a low profile 1650 would fit in there (though the fans would be point blank close to the PSU).

But I did read the label on the PSU and it says the maximum output is 180W. :(

The way this is going, I may as well change the whole tower into something bigger and add a better PSU and video card.
It may or not be easy. Some computers have some sort of "proprietary" connectors, not only for the PSU itself but for things like the power button, fans and hard drives.
Post edited November 15, 2020 by Dark_art_
Falci: I can't attach an image for the sake of god.
Done
Attachments:
Falci: I can't attach an image for the sake of god.
Dark_art_: Done
Thanks!

About the connectors, I hope they aren't very proprietary on this machine.